Meter socket generator transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I saw a new product under development at a trade show today. Its an adapter that plugs into a meter socket, the meter then goes into the adapter. The adapter has interlocked circuit breakers and a generator inlet. If power is lost the homeowner flips the breakers and connects a generator.
Its certainly a safe solution to the generator connection issue.

The developers say its installed by the utility, and not required to be listed. I feel its on the customer side of the service point and if an inspector sees it, then what?
I advised them to get involved with the IAEI so inspectors see it.
Developement of the adapter was done in conjunction with a local power utility. If the utility installed this adapter, would it be exempt from the NEC? Would it require listing?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Meter socket generator transfer switch

Tom,
If the home/building owner can switch the breakers, then it is not under the exclusive control of the utility and not exempt from the NEC per 90.2(B)(5).
Don

charlie

Originally posted by Don_resqcapt19:
If the home/building owner can switch the breakers, then it is not under the exclusive control of the utility and not exempt from the NEC per 90.2(B)(5).
Don, I am having trouble understanding your logic. :confused:

Assuming the meter fitting and the meter socket generator transfer switch are both sealed, they are under the exclusive control of the electric utility. I understand the customer would be able to operate a circuit breaker and have the ability to plug in a cord set but they would not be able to come into contact with any live parts or have any access to internal parts.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Should this transfer switch be under the NEC, the entire service from the meter to the main panel will become a feeder, according to the common belief by many.

I regard the service point as being where the unfused conductors end.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Good comments all, from my favorite posters at that! I don't want to disourage this product, as it is a good solution to homeowners connecting generators dangerously, but the developers are going to have the address both the utility and NEC issues. After all meter sockets are required to be listed. Perhaps if it was part of a meter then there would be no question as to jurisdiction.

charlie

Originally posted by Tom Baker:
After all meter sockets are required to be listed.
Tom, IPL supplies the meter fittings and they are not listed. They are installed by the EC but the ownership is retained by IPL along with exclusive control.

Status
Not open for further replies.