Meter Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

2 Questions

1) In a meter room 60" wide I have (2) meter stacks on facing walls. There's about 42" between the glass of the facing meters so each meter has the required 36"
But will that fly?

2) What if a meter stack winds up behind the door when said door is open? My partner in wire are debating whether this will fly.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm assuming the voltage to ground is 120 ? If so, then you should be OK on question 1. If it's 277, then there could be a debate on whether this is condition 3 of Table 110.26(A)(1).

As to question 2, this might be an AHJ call. Is the door normally open or kept shut ? Could opening the door damage a meter ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Brad's first answer, except that I think it clear that you would have Condition 3. So if this is a 480/277 service, I think you have a problem.

As to having a door open into the working space, I don't think that violates 110.26. But that question has been debated a couple times on this Forum. Do a word search, and you might see both sides of that discussion.

vilasman

Normally closed and locked door and 120/240 V service.
I think the plan is to fix something behind the door so it won't slam into the meters.
I measured the meters in a different 6 meter stack yesterday afternoon and they varied from 3" to 6" deep. I have 3" with the door at 90?, but am also thinking that i am going to take all the meter stacks down and put them back up so that I can get them perfectly level with each other.
In doing so I think I can horizontally shift them so that none of the meters are behind the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.