"Meter Disconnect"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregory

Is a meter disconnect a service disconnect? As I read 230.82 it makes the distinction that a meter disconnect is permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnect, as you would have with a 800 ampere fused "meter disconnect" feeding a bank of 12 meters. Then the disconnects after the meter would be your service disconnect. Am I correct in my thinking?

230.82 Equipment Connected to the Supply Side of Service Disconnect.
Only the following equipment shall be permitted to be connected to the supply side of the service disconnecting means:

(2) Meters, meter sockets, or meter disconnect switches nominally rated not in excess of 600 volts, provided all metal housings and service enclosures are grounded.

charlie

Re: "Meter Disconnect"

It depends on how it is used and built. Normally, a meter disconnect is an isolating switch that is built into the side of a smaller meter fitting for bypassing the meter so it may be removed or replaced while under load.

90.2(B)(5) gives the electric utilities permission to have exclusive control over equipment that is considered part of the associated metering. In our downtown network area, we have a very high amount of fault current available and require a disconnecting means installed for the safety of our people. If it is sealed so it is under our exclusive control and it has no overcurrent protection, it is now part of our metering equipment and not covered by the NEC.

On the other hand, if a disconnecting means is installed with overcurrent protection, the customer must have access. Since it is not under our exclusive control, it is service equipment and subject to all the requirements of the NEC. In other word, we would be metering a feeder.

The key is the overcurrent protection and exclusive control. :D

inspector 102

Re: "Meter Disconnect"

The way I understand your question, the meter disconnect becomes the service disconnect on this installation because of the number of additional disconnects you are serving. You stated it served 12 additional meters, of which I assumed each of these have an additional disconnect associated with the feeders originating from the meter socket to a remote location. In order to comply with 230.72(A), there needs to be 6 or less switches to completely shut-off power to a structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.