Metal Clad fiber optic cable installtion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Kissel

I need to write a installation specification to install metal clad ( or maybe PVC jacket) network fiber cable (OFNG, OFC, OFCG) in a manufacturing facility. Does anybody have a reference document as a starting point or better yet experienced the pit falls of what not to do.

How far should the bracing be?
Should the cable be firming attached or be allowed to droop to allow for expansion?
Are J Hooks a good method to attach the cable to joist?

It appears the code does not address these issues (except for plenum rating) I guess because this is really not an electrical issue.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I think most of these thoughts apply to copper cables as well!

First rule is make sure the cable can't be 'accidentally' damaged. Or accidentally-- high enough that a fork lift with a high load can't tear it down.
This may require conduit or ductwork of some type.

The last 20 feet of a cable run are probably most damage-prone-- the cable has to hook into some device, which is often at human-accessible height!
Cables are bent with a tight radius to let the end mate with a device-- bad for the cable! Make sure the device being connected to can't move around and flex/stress the cable!

I don't think fiber cables do a lot of expansion-- dress the cables neatly!

Don't fasten the cable so tightly that the fasteners damage the cable!

Don't coil any excess tighter than allowed by the manufacturer-- you'll fracture the fiber and have to re-run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.