Medium Voltage Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
We have a requirement to supply a medium voltage scheme for a customer. The drop from the utility is ~25kV. The total load is ~1.2MW - approx. 30-40A at 25kV.
Is there any reason I can't use a recloser in place of a breaker? I was thinking of a recloser mounted above some type of enclosure where controls are housed then load side connections out to XF.
Initial layout looks like this... Utility drop to recloser -> 300-400 ft to customer supplied XF -> then to loads.
I want to provide disconnecting means at the drop from the utility. Are the controls on the recloser adequate or should a separate MV disconnect switch be added after the recloser?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Utilities typically have interconnection requirements, and they will dictate the equipment necessary. I would be surprised if they don't have a sketch/drawing that shows exactly what is needed.

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
Utilities typically have interconnection requirements, and they will dictate the equipment necessary. I would be surprised if they don't have a sketch/drawing that shows exactly what is needed.
I have yet to speak with a rep from the utility, and only have 2nd hand info from customer - but their word was the POCO recommended a recloser.
My question was more from an NEC compliance perspective, as well as best practices.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Best practices say you need a visual opening point and a bypass configuration over the recloser.
You don’t want to have to disconnect the entire building to service or change out the recloser, and should anyone need to work on anything, visual openings are a must.

Also make sure your AHJ understands UL listings are almost non-existent on this type of equipment.

I believe you are
Going to have to get a hand operated switch configuration to “open all ungrounded conductors simultaneously.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.