Medium voltage IAC Cable in same raceway with 600 Volt c

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfourni

I have seen installations where 5 kv cable is pulled in the same tray with 600 volt cables without a tray divider. I've discussed this with several EE's, & other PE's and Electricians, and they seem divided, as to if this is legal or not. I don't consider the interlocked armor a barrier, separating the raceway.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Medium voltage IAC Cable in same raceway with 600 Volt c

You don?t need a ?tray divider.? What you need is to have the two sets of cables (i.e., the MV set and the 600V set) secured to something, so that they can never come into contact with each other. Reference NEC Article 300.3(C)(2)(e): </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In manholes, if the conductors of each system are permanently and effectively separated from the conductors of the other systems and securely fastened to racks, insulators, or other approved supports, conductors of different voltage ratings shall be permitted.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

awfourni

Charlie B - Section 300.3 (C)(2)(e) refers to manholes. My question pertains to standard inductrial cable tray installations.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: awfourni ]

ccha9219

as long as you maintain your clearance of one cable width apart you shold be fine

awfourni

Thanks Don - 392(F)(2) makes it clear that spacing alone is not enough. A barrier is required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

awfourni,
No barrier is required if the high voltage cable is Type MC. Most interlocking armor cable in that voltage range is MC. See 392.6(F)(1).
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.