MCB or MLO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I am working on a job and was asked to replace the split buss panel, out side is just a meter no discount. I was going to install a 200 amp MCB panel have the parts going to do it as soon as I get done typing. A new issue popped up today. I have to now change the Meter enclosure also (POCO is making me rusty inside). So I try to keep a 200amp meter main with 8 spaces on hand, so I will be using that. Now I will be having a Discount out side and one directly behind it.

I could get a MLO but there only 10 bucks cheaper for me then a MCB so I generally don't get them. On the other had, It looks kind of dumb to have 2-200 amp breakers back to back. The meter main is by far the cheapest option I could go. Verses Just replacing the Meter enclose or also adding a discount to meet 2020 even though Oregon has not adopted it yet.

What is your thoughts on this. If the panel was farther away from the Meter main, I would justify it in my head for easy of working in the panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is no problem having a redundant breaker inside, but the outside main makes the cable between them a feeder, requiring the usual 4-wire and isolated ground/neutral installation.

I personally would never waste a meter/main if I had the option to use an outside meter and inside main. If you must have an outside main, isn't a main disco cheaper than a meter/main?

Here, the POCO provides meter bases free, and the orange and blue stores carry 200a main breakers in enclosures for around $125/130. I admit I have never bought or installed a meter/main.

Mr fixit

Occupation
maintenance electrician
Id' say go with what you have on hand at this late date and time in the project. Remember the breakers are protecting the conductors so 2 are just protecting the section of the system that they are connected to.
Also the home owner will not have to go outside in the event they need to turn off the main, as it will be inside the home with the MCB panel. Now should a fault occur that trips the main, it will be which one or both sees the fault first and trips.

Good luck! Wow Larry is correct, it makes it a feeder panel not a service panel so you will need to separate the neutral and the ground in the panel.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris :)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I’ll have to do some more thorough Price checking but I call my supplier of asked him to give me a price either or and the meter main was 150 bucks cheaper

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I use MB panels often even when it could be MLO. I typically use homerline 100a MB for subs because they are actually cheaper than the MLO version.
Yeah that’s what I seem to notice I wish I could use home line. But squar D in my area is not the best I can get cheaper off home depo.

Closest supply house is an hour away. So I try and stock what I need. Well thanks for the advice guys at least you didn’t tell me I was an idiot

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I’ll have to do some more thorough Price checking but I call my supplier of asked him to give me a price either or and the meter main was 150 bucks cheaper
Cheaper than what???

Here's a 200a main breaker only for $119:

1590187163664.png

HJere's a 200a main breaker with four spaces for $123:

1590187462170.png

Here's a 200a meter main for $195:

1590187315462.png

Here's a 200a meter/main with 20 spaces for $149:

1590187569820.png

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
platt my supplier for Eaton delivers every day while square d rep is Once a week. Home Depot is an hour and half 1 way for me. So delivery every day is a big deal. I am just starting out and and have limited space. Though once I get a trailer Home Depot is tempting

Status
Not open for further replies.