McAfee scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I haven't used, subscribed to, McAfee for several years. I received and Email a couple days ago stating they were going to bill me for $495 for an update. That is about 10 times their advertised rate.

I searched for a possible scam as well as the phone # they listed. Nothing showed up.
Has anyone heard of an issue?

Bank & CC will be alerted to possible unwanted charge.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Not aware of one, but do constantly recieved email notice that a charge or a payment recieved to my PayPal account has been made, didn't have a PayPal. Recommendations have been to never reply to anything linked from the email, only go thru a known contact.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like a scam, possibly a phishing email. Mcafee is junk anyway, never click on an email link unless you're 100% sure it's legit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I haven't used, subscribed to, McAfee for several years. I received and Email a couple days ago stating they were going to bill me for $495 for an update. That is about 10 times their advertised rate.

I searched for a possible scam as well as the phone # they listed. Nothing showed up.

Probably a ploy to get you to call them and then they act like they will reduce the price if you sign on.... A scam for sure whatever the reason.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
My wife got this email a couple weeks ago. Her BS detector is well-developed, and deleted it, but not before looking at the message header and chuckling (it came from a gmail account instead of mcafee.com).

I got a similar email purporting to be from Norton this morning. It was also sent from a gmail account.

norcal

My wife got this email a couple weeks ago. Her BS detector is well-developed, and deleted it, but not before looking at the message header and chuckling (it came from a gmail account instead of mcafee.com).

I got a similar email purporting to be from Norton this morning. It was also sent from a gmail account.
Same here from "Jonny", had to check some accounts to make sure it was not debited.

Dear****@***.net,

We have received your order and your NORTON subscription has been upgraded and your payment has been received successfully.

A summary of your order is shown below:-
Order Number:   SW7567/B345
Date:    27 July, 2021
Payment Mode:     Online
Amount:    USD 489.00
Your account has been charged successfully.

If you have any questions about this charge, please connect us on +1 (888) ***-****
Best Regards,
+1 (888) ***-****

What I was sent, redacted the email addy & phone #'s.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With Gmail and most other email clients you have the option to look at the source text of the email. This will show the details of the message origin and the actual underlying HTML of included graphics and links. This will penetrate most efforts to hide the true origin of the email and the actions associated with the links.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.