MC Cable Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If separate neutrals are required and wiring a job in MC cable are you better off using a separate 12/2 for each receptacle circuit or a multiple neutral MC cable? I would think multiple neutral cable would save a lot on qty. of cable although.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If separate neutrals are required and wiring a job in MC cable are you better off using a separate 12/2 for each receptacle circuit or a multiple neutral MC cable? I would think multiple neutral cable would save a lot on qty. of cable although.

It also multiplies the number of joints you have to make in every box. In my opinion, 12/2 costs less to use, especially with labor in the equation.

t may even cost less per foot per circuit in materials alone.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why instead of multiple neutral MC?

It's just easier to pull 12/2 instead of 12/4/4 and with 12/4/4 you have to somehow carry through the other 3 circuits which can lead to wiring errors. IMO it's just not worth it unless your plan is run the 12/4/4 to a big homerun box in the ceiling and then distribute from there. To run that out to a receptacle or switch box just isn't a good plan.

mstrlucky74

It's just easier to pull 12/2 instead of 12/4/4 and with 12/4/4 you have to somehow carry through the other 3 circuits which can lead to wiring errors. IMO it's just not worth it unless your plan is run the 12/4/4 to a big homerun box in the ceiling and then distribute from there. To run that out to a receptacle or switch box just isn't a good plan.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.