Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 conductors

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbischoff9

New User
I had a test question which said "[FONT=LatoWeb, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]How many # 750 THHN Copper conductors fit in a 5” PVC Sch 80 conduit?"[/FONT]
[FONT=LatoWeb, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If I were to use Annex C10 it says that I could fit 7 750kcmil THHN conductors in a 5" PVC Schedule 80[/FONT]
[FONT=LatoWeb, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If I were to use Chapter 9 of the code it says that a 750 kcmil fills 677.2 mm^2 (1.0496 in^2) per conductor and that a 5" PVC Schedule 80 conduit has a max fill for more than 2 wires of 4607 mm^2 (7.142 in^2)[/FONT]
[FONT=LatoWeb, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]According to the math I can fit 6.8 wires in the conduit which would mean that I would have to go down to 6 wires in that 5" PVC conduit
Why is there a discrepancy between the math that is calculated in Chapter 9 Tables 4 and 5 and Annex C10?
Both 6 and 7 were possible answers on the multiple choice test, which of the two answers would be the most correct and why?
[/FONT]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome !
If you look at Note 7 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Table 1 you will see when your calculations are equal to or greater than 0.8 you can go to the next number of conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
OOH!, my aching back :)
(7) 750 cu would be 17 lbs per foot
"I think we are gonna need a bigger forktruck!"

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The most correct answer is not to mess with 750 at all. 600 is the biggest wire I ever pulled & it had me sore for a month.

kwired

Electron manager
Nah, I'm not puting Max in a conduit..............:p
Keep in mind Max fill for two or more conductors per NEC is only 40% of cross sectional area, so there is still room for conductors if you go a little over 40% and is not the same thing as trying to use more than 100% of the available space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Keep in mind Max fill for two or more conductors per NEC is only 40% of cross sectional area, so there is still room for conductors if you go a little over 40% and is not the same thing as trying to use more than 100% of the available space.

I think Bes meant his dog Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.