Material shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hi All. I know we've discussed this recently but I can't find the thread. Is anyone else across the country experiencing material shortages like circuit breakers, panels, generator power equipment, etc ? Or is it just here in the Northeast where we had storm damage ? I've been going solid for 2 weeks now just repairing electric services and installing generator power inlets and interlock kits. I've gotten orders for some service upgrades but have had to order material on Amazon and other venues. If you take a walk through the big box stores the materials on the shelves are bare. The regular supply houses seem to have material but not sure how long that's going to last.
Yeah same here in Massachusetts. I hope things improve soon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I've been waiting on a reliance transfer switch now for 2 months. Everything in California is sitting on hundreds of barges anchored off of Long Beach. And yes, a lot of electrical products period are scarce, contractors buy up the stock quickly when it does trickle in.

We need to start making products in the USA again.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I've been waiting on a reliance transfer switch now for 2 months. Everything in California is sitting on hundreds of barges anchored off of Long Beach. And yes, a lot of electrical products period are scarce, contractors buy up the stock quickly when it does trickle in.

We need to start making products in the USA again.
All those factories got shifted to China and Mexico in large part because nobody wants factories in their backyard.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Workplaces here are safer, backyards here are cleaner, and when it works, everything here just when we need it.
People who are paying closer attention to what is going on in China besides economic disasters, covid and the weather issues, understand the panic to get production moved out of China while they still can. Moving production means moving a lot of equipment.

My guess is the whole thing gets far worse before the production in other areas comes even close to what China can do.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My local HD gets $8.62 for QO 15s and 20s. Over 50 of each in stock.
Are you sure they're not giving you a volume discount? My price from Home Depot is $10.19, but I always order online so I'm not sure if that's the same price as posted on the shelf. But they have a lot of trouble keeping them in stock right now. Northeastern Oklahoma.

retirede

Are you sure they're not giving you a volume discount? My price from Home Depot is $10.19, but I always order online so I'm not sure if that's the same price as posted on the shelf. But they have a lot of trouble keeping them in stock right now. Northeastern Oklahoma.

You quoted me from almost a month ago. Today, the QO15 is $10.90. Price for one, no quantity. Only 19 in stock now.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Honeywell Security Products just announced that there will be an 8% inflation adder to all orders entered or shipped after December 8. So, when did they tell us this? December 7. Seems eerily fitting.

abrace

Occupation
Telecommunications Engineering
We've gotten 6-8% increases on almost everything, and have even had vendors try to increase prices on POs they have had for months.

Our generators we've been ordering are 10-12 month lead time.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I'm starting to wonder if this is a tactic, as we did with Germany during the war by cutting off their fuel source.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I came across an interesting report recently. It seems that the Chinese Communist party has determined that it does not want smog in Beijing for the Olympics so they are supposedly forcing virtually all of the heavy industry in northern China to shut down or extremely limit their production to reduce the smog level in an initiative they are calling Olympic Blue Skies.

I can only imagine how this will help the supply situation.

The shutdown is reported to be for January February and March.

Ryan902

Occupation
Red Seal Electrician
I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. I haven't seen a 200 amp panel (at big box stores or wholesaler) since September.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Honeywell Security Products just announced that there will be an 8% inflation adder to all orders entered or shipped after December 8. So, when did they tell us this? December 7. Seems eerily fitting.
Well, Honeywell's latest missive says "Did we say 8%? We really meant 14%. And no, you can't order right now and beat the rush, it's effective immediately."

Status
Not open for further replies.