Material Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you have 2 story building 7,000 sq ft. per floor( new construction) plus roof with no elevators what's the most efficient way to get daily material( pipe, wire, even fixtures) up to the floors? Stairs would be last resort I'd think.

Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rent a Lull for the duration of the project.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Rent a Lull for the duration of the project.
Yes I know that would make sense but our guys cant use it.

Guess we could pay someone on site to have them use their lull and lift for use but who knows if there would be one on site when needed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes a scissor lift is also an option. For heavy stuff we would just lift it up an elevator shaft.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes if there is steel above we hang off of that, if there's poured concrete we attach an eyebolt or some other device to the concrete with some anchors.
OP said it was two story, that is low enough there are lots of ways that may work depending on conditions. If you can get a vehicle carrying said supplies close enough might not be that much of a rise from vehicle bed to the second floor, if you have any opening available to pass the items through. Long items might be able to pass from one lever to the other pretty easily.

Even skid loaders often can reach high enough for this. If you don't have one on site but some other contractor does work something out with them to help you.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
How many large loads are you talking about, and how often? Doesn't seem like a big place.

Can you call a temp service to send a general laborer out for the day(s) you have a lot of stuff to bring in?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes. And the electricians setup this up?

Here's a few various photos of our lifting set up done solely by electricians The first one is 3 chain falls used to move two scissor lifts from one floor to another. The last two are lifting a switchboard up from one level to a generator room that was only accessible by stairs. (Yes I know about the lack of fall protection)

Three chain falls.jpg Switchboard Lift001.jpg Switchboard Lift002.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Yes some rigging knowledge is required. A highly skilled journeyman should be able to handle this.
My thought is if you can't learn at least some rigging skills, you should never ever lift anything you can't lift with your bare hands, or at least with the bare hands of multiple workers. Even use of a simple hand truck to move something is sort of a form of rigging.

If you are going to install things like heavy motors, transformers, switch gear, etc. you probably need some skills in getting them off a delivery vehicle, into a building and into their final position.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here's a few various photos of our lifting set up done solely by electricians The first one is 3 chain falls used to move two scissor lifts from one floor to another. The last two are lifting a switchboard up from one level to a generator room that was only accessible by stairs. (Yes I know about the lack of fall protection)

View attachment 2560702

That angle on the straps would be the only issue I would ask about (IF we had longer straps)
The multiplier on a 30 degree angle is 2.
not sure of the weight of that piece, but the straps see twice the weight.

But hey, sometimes we do what we gotta do to get it done.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That angle on the straps would be the only issue I would ask about (IF we had longer straps)
The multiplier on a 30 degree angle is 2.
not sure of the weight of that piece, but the straps see twice the weight.

But hey, sometimes we do what we gotta do to get it done.
Agreed the angle of the nylon slings could have been less but the section probably weighed only about 1200 pounds. Those slings in that orientation are probably rated for 3000-4000 pounds. 2 ton chain fall hung off of a 3/4 eyebolt good to go. As you said sometimes you just use what you have, slings a foot longer would have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.