Masters test VS Journeyman's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeSaint

Ive been taking practice tests that my teacher gives out. They are all Masters practice tests. I do okish on them but not as good as id like to do. Is there a big difference in difficulty from the masters to the journeyman's? I am trying to prepare to sit for the test soon for my journeyman's

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Way back when I was taking journeyman level exams I remember they were a lot more theory oriented than Master / EC exams were, the Master / EC was more code and business.

Roger

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
First electrical license I got was my MA. journeyman's in 1981. 16 questions couldn't use any book and you had to get 12 right to pass 70%. No school requirement or classroom hours (I did but it was not a requirement), just have a journeyman or a Master sign that you had 3 years experience in the field. I was in the last group under this (old) testing method. I can remember waiting weeks after I took the test to find out if I passed or not. About 3 weeks after I took the test a postcard came in the mail saying I passed and send a check for $35.00 to get my license.

A year and a half later I took and passed the masters test under the new system. Open book over 100 questions.

Times have changed

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Basically it’s another way to raise more money
Maybe for your state but not washington. A master electrician combines journeylevel and administrator certifications, saving time and money for renewal. Master or admin is required to be a contractor. The master exam is challenging to pass.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Ive been taking practice tests that my teacher gives out. They are all Masters practice tests. I do okish on them but not as good as id like to do. Is there a big difference in difficulty from the masters to the journeyman's? I am trying to prepare to sit for the test soon for my journeyman's

I just took my masters test (again ) here in WI. And the advice I would give you is to know the sections in your code book and to know how to do all the different calculations. I do know in WI the journeyman test is code reference question and master has calculations and more design questions, although the journeymen is 100 questions and the masters 50 questions.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Status
Not open for further replies.