Master electrician moving from Colorado to Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyboy

Hello, I’ve been in business for 12 years and and we are packing up and moving to Oregon.
I’m a small 1-2 man shop and a master electrician. Does anyone have any insights for moving to Oregon and obtaining a master or Supervisors license in Oregon? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smileyboy

My master test wasn’t easy in Colorado either. I’m just trying to find out if a license can be obtained.

Thank you for replying. I’ll look back.

stevenje

Hello, I’ve been in business for 12 years and and we are packing up and moving to Oregon.
I’m a small 1-2 man shop and a master electrician. Does anyone have any insights for moving to Oregon and obtaining a master or Supervisors license in Oregon? Thanks.

We moved from Colorado to Oregon in 2003. I had both my Colorado Journeyman's license and my Colorado Masters license. Colorado and Oregon do not have a reciprocal agreement.

Before they would allow me to test for the Oregon Journeyman's license, I had to fill out the application and provide them with notarized signed documents stating my work experience from my previous employers. They required 8000 hours of work experience in various aspects of the trade including industrial, commercial, & residential.

It took the State of Oregon over three months to process my application. They then wanted an additional 8000 hours of notarized signed documents stating my work experience from my previous employers, because I did not go through the State of Oregon’s apprentice program.

It took them another three months to process my application before I got the green light to test for the Journeyman’s exam.

This was just for the Oregon Journeyman’s license.

If you want an Oregon Supervisors license, they require an other 8000 of documented work history working as a Journeyman before they allow you to test.

It did not matter to the State of Oregon that received my Colorado Journeyman’s license in 1978 and my Colorado Masters license in 1981.

I tested for the Oregon Supervisors license in 2011 and pasted. The Oregon Supervisor’s exam is by far the toughest test I have ever taken. Compared to the Oregon Supervisors test, the Colorado Masters test was like a pop quiz.

I am not sure what the new rules (if any) on getting licensed in Oregon. Contact the State and they will fill you in.

Welcome to Oregon and good luck in your endeavors.

smileyboy

We moved from Colorado to Oregon in 2003. I had both my Colorado Journeyman's license and my Colorado Masters license. Colorado and Oregon do not have a reciprocal agreement.

Before they would allow me to test for the Oregon Journeyman's license, I had to fill out the application and provide them with notarized signed documents stating my work experience from my previous employers. They required 8000 hours of work experience in various aspects of the trade including industrial, commercial, & residential.

It took the State of Oregon over three months to process my application. They then wanted an additional 8000 hours of notarized signed documents stating my work experience from my previous employers, because I did not go through the State of Oregon’s apprentice program.

It took them another three months to process my application before I got the green light to test for the Journeyman’s exam.

If you want an Oregon Supervisors license, they require an other 8000 of documented work history working as a Journeyman before they allow you to test.

It did not matter to the State of Oregon that received my Colorado Journeyman’s license in 1978 and my Colorado Masters license in 1981.

I tested for the Oregon Supervisors license in 2011 and pasted. The Oregon Supervisor’s exam is by far the toughest test I have ever taken. Compared to the Oregon Supervisors test, the Colorado Masters test was like a pop quiz.

I am not sure what the new rules (if any) on getting licensed in Oregon. Contact the State and they will fill you in.

Did you write your own letters since you had your own company? I’ve been working for myself for 12 years. Just wondering how to prove/ document that time.
Thanks.

stevenje

Did you write your own letters since you had your own company? I’ve been working for myself for 12 years. Just wondering how to prove/ document that time.
Thanks.

https://www.oregon.gov/bcd/Formslibrary/2570a.pdf

If I remember correctly, I had another electrical contractor fill out the Employment Verification Form to document my self employment time. We helped each other on various projects. We were both one man shops.

Go online or call the State about your situation. Hopefully they will get the ball rolling for you.

As I stated before, the Supervisors Exam is a tough test. I know an electrical contractor who recently let his Supervisors License laps and he had to retest. It took him eight attempts to pass it again.

smileyboy

If I remember correctly, I had another electrical contractor fill out the Employment Verification Form to document my self employment time. We helped each other on various projects. We were both one man shops.

Go online or call the State about your situation. Hopefully they will get the ball rolling for you.

As I stated before, the Supervisors Exam is a tough test. I know an electrical contractor who recently let his Supervisors License laps and he had to retest. It took him eight attempts to pass it again.

Thank you. I’m sure it’s a tough test. I keep reading about it online.

I’ve got an electrical contractor that I’ve helped out too. Thanks for the tips. I’ll call Oregon Monday morning. I appreciate the help.

smileyboy

Seems like things are moving along nicely. Now, I’m just looking for a method to start studying for the test. I found a book on Amazon that said it was specifically for the Oregon exams. Here we go!

OregonSE

https://www.electtrainnw.com/
If you haven't already tested for your GSE, John Powell's training course is very helpful. Not an easy test.
https://www.electtrainnw.com/

smileyboy

Master electrician moving from Colorado to Oregon

Thank you.

I purchased a book from Shawn Haggin & also purchased Mike Holts Master electrician exam preparation book. I’ve been spending a lot of time with calculations.
Shawn teaches classes and exam prep. We will see how it goes. I’m trying to avoid spending a week and a half in a class room.

I’m hoping to test out next Friday.

How did your test go?

I believe I commented on the OP post on electrician talk... and I will confirm this! The Oregon tests are far more difficult than Colorado. The Oregon JW was more diffficult than the Colorado masters to me. Washington Admin/Masters made the Colorado masters look like a joke of a test. It’s not the code, it’s the calculations. The code and wac aren’t much of a test(Admin test they give you 4hrs, I used 1hr45min and got a 94%) the calculations, I used all two hours the first time and had to visit a second time a few weeks later)

Status
Not open for further replies.