Marina and pier questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

patc

Can anyone give any opinions on how voltage drop should be calculated for a marina pier and branch circuits. Would you have to calculate it on actual load(which varies) or on the devices being installed since the service size is based on the device size and quantity? The next question is about the gas pumps and distances to electrical installations. The code states that the 20 foot distance is based on the distance to the dispenser. Would you consider the nozzle(which is usually attached to a 50 foot hose)as part of the dispenser or do you limit it to the actual dispensing unit. Now for residential installations, which art.555 does not cover, would you require a duplex mounted on a power pedestal on a pier at a home to have an "in use" cover? The most time cords are left plugged in are at marinas and residential piers. Hey Mike, how do they handle this in Florida?

bphgravity

Re: Marina and pier questions

I would size the voltage drop based on the largest load that could be served at any one time. The heavier the load, the greater the voltage drop.

In use covers are required for the receptacle outlet.

I woud get you AHJ approval on the dispenser unit issue. I do believe it is based on the dispenser unit or enclosure though. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Marina and pier questions

I don?t think that this is in disagreement with Bryan, but I would perform the VD calculation on the basis of the devices installed. What I mean is that if you install both a 30 amp, 125 volt receptacle and a 50 amp, 250 volt receptacle at the farthest slip, then I would use 12.5 kVA for the load at that point (50 amps times 250 volts). That would be, if I can borrow Bryan?s words and hope that I am not changing his meaning, "the largest load that could be served at any one time."

Status
Not open for further replies.