Manual transfer switch recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi
In the past I've installed a lock out on panel covers for portable generator inlets. In researching manual transfer switch panels, I looked at the reliance 510C Pro/Tran 2 and figure smaller units should follow suite.
Turns out the panel cover lock out can't be used because of the neutral/ground from the generator can't be unbonded and has to remain bonded together at the generator to satisfy code and listing for the generator. A Mike Holt video mentions the manual transfer switches would have to disconnect the neutral in the transfer panel to satisfy the code. Figured the Reliance touts code compliance so...
I looked at the specs from Reliance and watched you tube videos and it looks like the neutral and ground coming from the inlet through the manual transfer panel are just spliced through and no separation of the neutral and ground is happening. It's just like feeding a neutral and ground from the inlet to the bonded neutral/ground in the house panel as if no manual transfer switch was installed.
Is anyone aware of a manual transfer switch that also disconnects the house neutral from the generator neutral to satisfy this code article (and inspections).

starts at 43:19

49:50 he mentions a friend using a larger generator and back feeding a panel with two inlets. How would you do that with one panel lock out?

Thank you

Last edited:

ritelec

49:50 he mentions a friend using a larger generator and back feeding a panel with two inlets. How would you do that with one panel lock out?

Thank you

Think I got it. Instead of back feeding the main panel with a 30 or 50 amp two pole breaker. Back feed the panel with a 80 or 100 amp breaker and install a small sub panel.
The two inlets feed a 50 amp two pole and a 30 amp two pole in a new small sub panel. The new sub panels line back feeds into the 80 or 100 amp breaker in the main panel.

Todd0x1

Think I got it. Instead of back feeding the main panel with a 30 or 50 amp two pole breaker. Back feed the panel with a 80 or 100 amp breaker and install a small sub panel.
The two inlets feed a 50 amp two pole and a 30 amp two pole in a new small sub panel. The new sub panels line back feeds into the 80 or 100 amp breaker in the main panel.

That doesn't seem right. How would you keep from having a live inlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.