Making Splices inside a slip-fitter arm assembly for Outdoor Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Lighting
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a bit of guidance today. I am running into some head wind about connections being made inside a tenon arm, in between it and the adjustable slip-fitter. This is the same concept as when you are installing a knuckle mount flood on a 2" ground stake with the connections being made, then the branch conductors folded inside the pipe, before securing the fixture on top of it. There is no mention in article 410 of this method. Is the splice considered accessible with the removal of the fixture? The rub here, is the term accessible. All manufacturers instructions outline the procedure I have listed above when the wiring is located inside the tenon, and or ground stake adapter. Is there another article, or supporting article notes I should be looking at? Thanks for your help...

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Folding conductors and stuffing into conduit is not allowed.
Now as to your slipfitter question, my experiece is with street lights, the feed wires are long enough to make up on the terminal block in the luminare.
What you have doing does not sound allowable. Not many inspectors see the splices.

Occupation
Lighting
Understood, Streetlights have a terminal block that branch conductors terminate onto. That is different scenario than say a ground spike mount for flood lights which have a 1/2" knuckle mount with wiring that extends inside the cap (top) that the connection is actually a splice inside the 2" PVC pipe, or adjustable slip-fitter arm (horizontal or vertical) which the manufacturers have outlined the termination instructions as I have detailed in my previous initial post. I previously worked in City Government and this was the accepted practice. However, that being said...
I cannot find anything officially listed in NEC Article 410, or 410.17 regarding splices/wiring... or anywhere else. Again, I believe this all centers around the definition of "accessible".
Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.