Main panel butted to sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

george t. everett

I just install a new 200 amp service to a dwelling. I used a 200amp main & 30 panel & butted a 30 main lug sub panel next to it to give me 60 circuits. The sub panel is connected by a chase nipple. The inspector said that I could not butt the panels together, that there had to be a space between them. He said that it was in the code but could not show me. He said there was an illustration in the hand book. I can't find anything in regards to this. Can anyone help.

electricmanscott

Re: Main panel butted to sub panel

I can't think of any reason. So you have to research something an inspector won't sign off on and he doesn't really know why? Ok. :roll: Why use two 30's? Why not 2 40's? Nothing is more annoying than going into a newer house where the panel is already maxed out because someone didn't use the larger size initially.

tonyi

I wonder what the inspector would say if he encountered something like the Cutler BRGUTTER product :D

Essentially, you fabed the same sort of thing, but put a panel on the side rather than the big splice box Cutler does.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

When I do this I have to use a short nipple to keep the pans apart. Aren't the covers on most panels usually larger than the pan? Can't see how you can use a chase nipple because the covers will overlap one another.

tonyi

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Nothing is more annoying than going into a newer house where the panel is already maxed out because someone didn't use the larger size initially.
One of Palm Beach county's amendments (that wasn't too goofy) is requiring two slots be left empty for future expansion. They didn't say you had to leave'em side by side though to accomodate a 2-pole subfeed breaker though...that would have been too practical :p

Status
Not open for further replies.