Main Disconnect in Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

I designed an electrical system for a small booster pump building. The building houses a skid mounted booster pump system. The pump system consists of 3 pumps and is completely self contained, it needs only a feeder from my panel to a control panel.

While value engineering the project, the manufacturer deleted a control panel disconnect switch. My feeder lands on lugs that tap to VFD's and control transformer OCPD.

Is there a requirement in UL, etc., mandating a disconnect in a control panel, or is it just a nice option?

Jim T

iwire

Staff member
If I understand correctly I think you have a violation off 430.102(A) that requires a disconnecting means ahead of and with in sight of the controller.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the service disconnect and the control panel are in the same room and within unobstructed sight of each other, it may be OK. The AHJ is always the final autority however. Make sure you document that it was the manufacturer's decision so if you get red-tagged, you get a change order.

jtester

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think a disconnect is a problem. This is a 1 room building with the skid in the middle. The breaker in the building panel can be considered the disconnect per 430.102(A), it is within sight and within 20' or so.

I'm the engineer on the job, and it is my duty to avoid the change order. I don't think the AHJ will have a problem, I am just used to seeing a disconnect inside the control panel.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.