Main Breaker Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

This might be a local thing, 3 family dwelling with a house panel. Each unit has a full sized 100 amp MB panel. The house panel is 4 circuit, no main. Is this a violation? I was thinking less than 6 switches a main is not required.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Easy answer...... depends :D

In actuality, you are right it may depend on how the local inspector looks it, but in addition, IMO,
it depends on the location of the service equipment,
Being a multiple occupancy premises,if you have one service, 230.42 Exception #1 allows you to run one set of service conductors to each occupancy and 230.71 allows you to have up to six switches at each of those locations.
So, again IMO, if each of those panels is at a separate location (occupancy) you are fine as no one location has over 6 disconnects, however, if all four service disconnects are grouped you would have a total of seven switches and be in violation.

(FWIW, locally there is a "90.4 rule" that if any one of those disconnects is outside, they all need
to be outside and grouped... so local rules, as always, can play a role)

I'm sure there will be other opinions. :)

GerryB

I don't understand the question. Are these sub-panels?

It is a 3 fam house with a 3-gang meter provision in the basement and three panels, one for each floor. We have to add a house meter and panel for the common areas. I was able to tap the existing to add the meter and panel. I installed a GE 4/8 panel, pretty small but it will take a main if needed because it comes with a hold down clip. For now I just put in 3 breakers as that is all that is needed for lighting. I didn't think I needed a main disco for just three breakers, although the inspector might say someone could take the full sized breakers out and put 8 slim ones in. I'll see what he says.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is a 3 fam house with a 3-gang meter provision in the basement and three panels, one for each floor. We have to add a house meter and panel for the common areas. I was able to tap the existing to add the meter and panel. I installed a GE 4/8 panel, pretty small but it will take a main if needed because it comes with a hold down clip. For now I just put in 3 breakers as that is all that is needed for lighting. I didn't think I needed a main disco for just three breakers, although the inspector might say someone could take the full sized breakers out and put 8 slim ones in. I'll see what he says.
The panel is required to be suitable for use as service equipment. Check the listing....most small panels are suitable for use as service equipment only where a main has been installed in the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.