Main Breaker for Duplex units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjammin

I inspected a duplex unit that is 1900 SF, has the SEC going into the unit on the right. That panel is a max rating of 125 Amps. Panel is distribution only. The other side is same max rating that has the main breaker of 100 Amps. Is that legal? In an emergency situation how does the tenant on the right shut down if the tenant on the left is not home. And I assume since the total SF is worthy of a 200 Amp service, shouldn't the panel that has the SEC be rated for 200 Amps?

growler

I inspected a duplex unit that is 1900 SF, has the SEC going into the unit on the right. That panel is a max rating of 125 Amps. Panel is distribution only. The other side is same max rating that has the main breaker of 100 Amps. Is that legal? In an emergency situation how does the tenant on the right shut down if the tenant on the left is not home. And I assume since the total SF is worthy of a 200 Amp service, shouldn't the panel that has the SEC be rated for 200 Amps?

I don't think this is a real duplex apartment. Sounds like a house that's divided into two sections with a main panel and a sub panel.

I'm guessing that there is only one meter.

I would check to see if this is a legal duplex with a seperate address. Is there a fire wall between the units, I doubt it.

As far as service size that would require a load calculation to determine the power requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.