Lutron system with AFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhulbert

I have a theorietical question (though I'm sure this has come up somewhere before). If you have some sort of LV control system for your lights in your bedroom, in this example we'll use Lutron's stuff. So say you have one of their wall controls that can do 4 Scenes and off, and have this connected back to a dimmer in an electrical room. Does said dimmer have to be on a AFCI, or have AFCI breakers within it? Or is a light fixture considered an "outlet" and require AFCI regardless of where it's controlled from? (Like smoke alarms?)
Thanks, just curious!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: Lutron system with AFCI's

The NEC defines "Outlet" as : A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

To this definintion, the NFPA NEC Handbook adds :
An example is a lighting outlet or a receptacle outlet.

So, yes, the light fixture inside a bedroom, controlled by a remote dimmer in another room will have to have an AFCI.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Al, in this case the fixtures would not be 125 V outlets so they would not need AFCI protection.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Al, nevermind, after rereading I see the fixtures are not LV, only the control. I agree with you

Roger

[ March 31, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

bjansen

If you use a Lutron panel with a main breaker I don't think it is possible to have arc-fault protection. Depending on the switching of he system if it is keypad or switches would determine the way (if possible) that it can be protected. We have never fed Lutron panels with arc-fault breakers. I wonder if the breaker would somehow have nuisance tripping from lighting control.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

If a branch circuit provides 125 volt power to a light fixture in a dwelling unit bedroom, then 210.12(B) requires the entire circuit to be protected by an AFCI device. If a dimmer switch is part of the 125 volt branch circuit, it would not matter where the dimmer switch is located. I have not worked with Lutron?s system, and I don?t know how it interfaces with the 125 volt lighting outlets. So I don?t know what impact an AFCI might have on the LV controls.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

No reason you couldn't have a AFCI breaker supply the Lutron system in the electrical room. That would satisfy the AFCI requirement. Question is will the dimmer load cause problems with the AFCI.

-Hal

mhulbert

The panel I was thinking of is here . Basicaly, you feed the panel just like you'd feed a subpanel, and then the breakers for your individual dimmers are in the panel. I think they are QO breakers. I will have to ask lutron if their dimmers trip AFCI's. A more common scenario would be feeding a Grafik Eye for a bedroom. I think then you could judt feed it with a 20A AFCI breaker as you would a light switch.
Mike

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I, for one, will be curious to hear what you learn when you contact Lutron, Mike.

mhulbert

I got some info on the AFCI's with Lutron units. Looks like any loads higher than 1000W per breaker could trip the AFCI. THey say to spread loads accross breakers. There is a bit more, you can read the whole FAQ HERE.

It is for the Home Works system, but it uses the same dimmers as amny of the Grafik Eye system.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.