Luminaire Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

d2568maaee

I am an Electrical Engineer and one of the types of designs I perform are roadway lighting systems. During a recent field inspection of one of the systems I designed, I had the contractor provide me with pictures of the internal wiring of 1 of the LED luminaires so I could verify luminaire models numbers and also visually inspect the contractors terminations within the luminaire housing. The luminaires are 480 volt requiring the 2 phase and 1 equipment grounding conductor. I have attached picture of the internal terminations inside the luminaire housing. The contractor terminated the Black and Red phase and Green ground conductors to the manufacturer's pre-wired terminal block. The manufacturer's pre-wired connections on other side of the terminal block include a Black, Green and White.

My concern is that NEC 200.7 does not permit the use of white or gray conductor insulation for ungrounded conductors in a raceway, even if the conductors are permanently re-identified. As you can see from the picture, the Red phase conductor terminates to the manufacturer's pre-wired White conductor.

Does the use of the manufacturer's pre-wired White conductor as shown connected in the attached picture violate NEC?

Comments are greatly appreciated.

Michael A. Armentor, P.E.
Illumination & Electrical Design Engineer

Attachments

• Luminaire Wiring Connections.jpg
    Luminaire Wiring Connections.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 32

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NEC does not cover a manufactured product. The manufacturer would have gone through a separate process to get that product listed.

d2568maaee

Ok. So is it safe for me to assume that its OK for a contractor to connect the Red phase conductor and move on to more other critical issues? I spoke to the contractor as was going to have them Red phase tape the whites anyway, but that's where I saw the NEC issue where we can't.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The wiring the contractor did looks fine as is. If s/he said s/he would phase tape the whites to red, s/he said that just to appease you. It's not required.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
A lot of times an assembled unit is wired with possibilities for differing power supply requirements by mfg, such as 120 or 277 on a lighting or 120 or 240 for a motor on a compressor for example. They would do most assembly as if 120 then simply make alterations to accommodate the higher voltage, this saves costs on mfg. So mfg would indicate wiring requirements for field installation for specific applications. If you are concerned regarding this installation look at installation guides from mfg or contact mfg for clearification.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The wiring the contractor did looks fine as is. If s/he said s/he would phase tape the whites to red, s/he said that just to appease you. It's not required.
I agree no tape required and personally I would not re-identify factory wiring. I cannot remember the last time I saw black/red for 480 volts.

d2568maaee

Thanks. These are 480/240 volt 1 Phase systems on the interstate and red/black insulation color for this installation is common.

Todd0x1

As others have mentioned, there is no issue since the white wire is part of the manufactured product.

What kind of wire is that supplying the fixture? The insulation looks odd. Is it RHHW?

d2568maaee

Thanks for the additional response Todd. XHHW-2. We specify this type for all roadway lighting and/or other exterior power wiring circuits for the insulation toughness and resistance to heat, chemical, oil moisture and other harsh conditions. Underground conduits and junction boxes in Louisiana are always filled with water and heaven knows what other kinds of fluids. LOL!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I spoke to the contractor as was going to have them Red phase tape the whites...

Not because of the NEC, but you would be modifying a listed product possibly voiding the listing. Consider that the manufacturer instructions direct the installer to connect L1 or L2 to the white terminal on the block. If you decide to reidentify them red nobody who comes along later will know that wasn't done by the manufacturer and they will be looking for the white.

Best advice is to remember that anything that comes from a manufacturer should be left alone.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.