Low Voltage requirements for commercial kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

rycklc

Occupation
Chief Engineer
Hello!

I understand there are NEC implications for general electric work in commercial kitchens but I am unsure if there are any such requirements for low voltage cabling, in particular data (communications) cabling. In this particular case we are running low voltage cabling into a kitchen in a restaurant, for various equipment.

I think the answer may be some where in article 800

I've spent a few hours digging around and can't find anything conclusive, I'm hoping the team here can assist.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

What is your specific question? Is it about physical routing and protection?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think the answer may be some where in article 800
There will also be parts of chapter 7 that could come into play. Fl requires licenses to perform LV installations.

Here is some more info.

rycklc

Occupation
Chief Engineer
@roger Thank you Roger, we are aware that a limited energy license is required for commercial installations.

@LarryFine Yes, the end result is that we are concerned with routing and protection, even though it's low voltage, the cabling will be under similar stresses as would high-voltage cabling, such as increased heat, exposure to liquids, etc. While we believe the same rules should apply, we also don't want to over analyze/engineer this. We represent the client and our job is to ensure that the contractor does the work correctly.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Florida is still on the 2017 NEC code so what's in that article you found may not be accurate. For the purpose of low voltage work, a commercial kitchen isn't any different than any other installation. We have debated which Article datacom (Ethernet) wiring should fall under, 800 or 725, and it appears the NEC wants it under 725. Not that it matters, the only requirements that apply to it are the "boilerplate" which is the same for both Articles. Of course, there is no question wiring with POE (because it carries power) should come under 725.

Generally, for low voltage communications installations the NEC is only concerned with the physical aspect of the work (such as support) as well as using the proper cable to prevent flame and smoke spread should there be a fire situation.

If you have any specific questions, we will be happy to answer them.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Installation methods will be covered by part IV of article 800.

What equipment are you running LV to other than monitor/printers/bump bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The kitchens I've done have had standard ethernet wiring for the sales and ordering systems. I normally fish regular UTPC in walls where I can, or in Wiremold or 1/2" conduit where I can't, and standard LV rings or standard boxes and RJ-45 or keystone plates as appropriate.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
@brantmacga you've listed everything that is being connected.

The typical install for that would be Ethernet cabling supported in the trusses by J-hooks, and routed right into the stainless equipment chase and terminate into an RJ-45, and a standard patch cable to the equipment.

We will place a back box and bushed EMT conduit stub into the ceiling space if there is no equipment chase.

But it really is that simple.

Edit to add….. we will sometimes route 2” pvc conduits to the front counter as a sleeve to get over the kitchen during a remodel, but usually not on a new installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.