Low Voltage Pop-Up Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

inq

Occupation
Systems Integrator
I'm struggling to understand how the NEC Section 406.6(E) applies to an XLR pop-up box we are looking to install.

406.5(E) Receptacles in Countertops. Receptacle assemblies for
installation in countertop surfaces shall be listed for counter‐
top applications. Where receptacle assemblies for countertop
applications are required to provide ground-fault circuit-
interrupter protection for personnel in accordance with 210.8,
such assemblies shall be permitted to be listed

The box contains XLR ports and flush mounts with a raised podiums surface. First i'm not clear if Low-Voltage receptacles are covered by sections 406 of the NEC? Are RJ45 Jacks, XLR ports, and speakers banana plugs considered "receptacles"?

Secondly I'm unclear what is meant by "countertop" here. Is that only limited to bathroom, kitchen, and workbenches? This isn't a "countertop" but part of a desk where speeches are given. There is no definition (that I could find) in the NEC about what is considered at countertop.

Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think you think too much.

XLR's, RJ45's and other low voltage connectors are not receptacles. Further, a podium is not a countertop.

So sleep well tonight knowing that you can install your pop-up box and the NEC doesn't care.

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Start with the definition of receptacle in Art 100. Definitions are important, thats why they are listed first. Once we know what it is, then you can find the rules to apply. Its basically what hbiss said above.
A countertop is just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.