low voltage lights on photo cell and time clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

Anybody know what scenario would warrant wiring low voltage lights on a photo cell and time clock. I'm troubleshooting a customer's low voltage problem with their lights. I'm thinking about just tracing the wires and doing away with the time clock connection. I don't see a need for the time clock. Bad problem is that whoever wired and mounted the transformer, mounted it about 2 or 3 inches from the floor in a water heater closet. I have to lay down to get to the connections:(
Thanks for the input.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Many landscape lighting transformers have time clock and photocell built in.

Together, they make sure that the lights only operate while it's dark AND within certain time parameters.

If you only have a photocell, those lights might come on during a 10am to 1pm thunderstorm

If you only have a time clock, you have to either pick an average time, or you're constantly adjusting it. Where I live, sunrise is about 5:30 am at the earliest and 7:30 at the latest. Sunset is about 5:30 at the earliest and 8:45 at the latest.

Best route, imho, is a timer with automatic daylight savings adjustment. It serves both purposes in one device

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Anybody know what scenario would warrant wiring low voltage lights on a photo cell and time clock. I'm troubleshooting a customer's low voltage problem with their lights. I'm thinking about just tracing the wires and doing away with the time clock connection. I don't see a need for the time clock. Bad problem is that whoever wired and mounted the transformer, mounted it about 2 or 3 inches from the floor in a water heater closet. I have to lay down to get to the connections:(
Thanks for the input.
Laying down is the best position for me.
Do away with all control to make sure the lights work, then add them back in. Make sure the TC is set correctly.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Set the time clock for a period of time that corresponds to night time in your area. Have the clock feed the PC. The PC will be powered any time the clock is sending power but won't come on/go off until it senses dark/light. That keeps the PC from coming on just because of a dark day, as was mentioned by James.

Status
Not open for further replies.