Looking for ideas, outdoor sign lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

The sign spans over the road entrance to an RV park.
It’s about ~24-28’ off the ground and is 28’ in length.
The manager would prefer an even amount of light the full length of the sign, and would prefer it to be an “Up-Light” so the customers aren’t blinded when they look up at the sign.

I thought about a high lumen tape light (IP65) mounted on Unistrut, with the Unistrut running the full length of the sign, maybe about 4-6 inches out from thebottom of the sign. I’ve looked at the tape light that is 503 lmns/ft. That would be 14,000 lumens total for the sign.

I’m worried about the longevity of the tape light though. It’s going to be faced upwards at an angle. It’ll be exposed to the elements and I’m worried about the double sided tape lasting.

is there a similar fixture that I can mount end-to-end that would serve the same function (mounted facing up) that would be fixed to Unistrut (or similar)?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There is waterproof led tape light rated for that, but it’s expensive. Some sort of flexible coating. I have a 6’ piece of red on my gate that I have wired to flash when the gate starts to open. Been on there for two years now. So far no issues.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I installed about 600 ft of this 120v waterproof ribbon on a restaurant a year and a half ago....

This is 4200k but it's also available in 2800k and 6000-ish, which is what I put up

I would suggest 2 runs side-by-side, just in case anything happens to one strip you still have some illumination. It plugs in, which is nice.

If mounting to strut, can you zip tie through the holes? What will it look like from the bottom (aesthetics)?

Attachments

• 20210622_184502.jpg
    20210622_184502.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 18

Terminator5047

Occupation
Electrician
The sign spans over the road entrance to an RV park.
It’s about ~24-28’ off the ground and is 28’ in length.
The manager would prefer an even amount of light the full length of the sign, and would prefer it to be an “Up-Light” so the customers aren’t blinded when they look up at the sign.

I thought about a high lumen tape light (IP65) mounted on Unistrut, with the Unistrut running the full length of the sign, maybe about 4-6 inches out from thebottom of the sign. I’ve looked at the tape light that is 503 lmns/ft. That would be 14,000 lumens total for the sign.

I’m worried about the longevity of the tape light though. It’s going to be faced upwards at an angle. It’ll be exposed to the elements and I’m worried about the double sided tape lasting.

is there a similar fixture that I can mount end-to-end that would serve the same function (mounted facing up) that would be fixed to Unistrut (or similar)?
Whenever I install tape light I hit the edges with silicone in case the tape fails

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I use this fixture a lot.

There is an up-only model available. They cost about $50 per linear foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.