looking for high-quality manual torque screwdrivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

James E Kan

Occupation
Technician
Hi there..
I've been looking for a good screwdriver for some assembly requirements. I'm looking for anything that has a changeable speed and can preset the torque and is both good and reliable. I'd like to have several of them in my toolset, each suited to a different type of fastening job. A manual torque screwdriver with a distinctive grip design was recommended by a friend. I don't want to spend too much also. I would be grateful if you could make any other recommendations..

Last edited by a moderator:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Whia is a German brand, high quality. I used a Whia torque screwdriver 6 in lb on terminal blocks. The torque setting was done with an easy to use tool. Seems like it was $100. I had a Klien torque screwdriver, I did not like it and was not able to go to the low torque I needed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi there..
I've been looking for a good screwdriver for some assembly requirements. I'm looking for anything that has a changeable speed and can preset the torque and is both good and reliable. I'd like to have several of them in my toolset, each suited to a different type of fastening job. A manual torque screwdriver with a distinctive grip design was recommended by a friend. I don't want to spend too much also. I would be grateful if you could make any other recommendations..
Dead link

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Isn't the OP spam? How do you "set the speed" on a manual screwdriver? I figure any post by a new user with an embedded link to a product is likely to be spam.

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Isn't the OP spam? How do you "set the speed" on a manual screwdriver? I figure any post by a new user with an embedded link to a product is likely to be spam.

Cheers, Wayne
I think there are two items here. One is the recommendation he received, and the other is looking for a power tool with settable characteristics. I glanced at some of the other items on the web site and it looks like they have stuff you can do that with.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I see a moderator edited the post.
Perhaps one deleted the hyperlink?

James E Kan

Occupation
Technician
Whia is a German brand, high quality. I used a Whia torque screwdriver 6 in lb on terminal blocks. The torque setting was done with an easy to use tool. Seems like it was $100. I had a Klien torque screwdriver, I did not like it and was not able to go to the low torque I needed.
Thank you for your suggestion

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Hi there..
I use a manual Snap-On QDriver4 (1/4" Hex, 5 to 40 in.-lb. range w/ 0.5 in.-lb. increments). Its excellent, high quality and has a low-profile design.

gadfly56

Occupation
I use a manual Snap-On QDriver4 (1/4" Hex, 5 to 40 in.-lb. range w/ 0.5 in.-lb. increments). Its excellent, high quality and has a low-profile design.
The price at Amazon is $395. I hope it comes with gold and platinum inlay.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
This one here has certified calibrated torque between 15 and 75 in lbs at 1in lb increment. And not very expensive under $50 on Amazon. It came with the certification of calibration. But it's not a power driver. Nice leverage.
1626724698362.png

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
The price at Amazon is $395. I hope it comes with gold and platinum inlay.

I admit it’s pricey but it has endured some abuse through the years and hasn’t failed me yet. There’s nothing like a well built reliable tool in your arsenal. I usually keep it in the case together with my driver set to motivate use anytime I tighten a connection.

gadfly56

Occupation
I admit it’s pricey but it has endured some abuse through the years and hasn’t failed me yet. There’s nothing like a well built reliable tool in your arsenal. I usually keep it in the case together with my driver set to motivate use anytime I tighten a connection.
I get that if you use something like that even just once a week it's worth the cost, as long as it maintains calibration. For me, it would be my heirs saying "WTF was daddy thinking!?!"

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I get that if you use something like that even just once a week it's worth the cost, as long as it maintains calibration. For me, it would be my heirs saying "WTF was daddy thinking!?!"
Calibration holds well (although sending your tools and test equipment for annual calibration is standard protocol). The best part of owning this, is all the attention it seems to get with clicking away in a control panel. Every job site I use it has people wanting to test it out and some guys end up buying one afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.