Looking for code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat1405

Occupation
Generator tech
New here and having trouble find a code. Customer wants to use 2 200amp breakers to feed a 400amp transfer switch. Any help would be great. I needbto show them that I can't use 2 breakers ( sources) to feed a single switch.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Wait..
(2) 200 amp breakers, in parallel, to feed a 400 amp transfer switch?

Thinking it will add up??
It won’t...

200 amps is all that’s going through.

Pat1405

Occupation
Generator tech
Wait..
(2) 200 amp breakers, in parallel, to feed a 400 amp transfer switch?

Thinking it will add up??
It won’t...

200 amps is all that’s going through.
Yes it's a 400amp meter panel combo with (2)200 amp breakers feeding the 2 indoor panels

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
New here and having trouble find a code. Customer wants to use 2 200amp breakers to feed a 400amp transfer switch. Any help would be great. I needbto show them that I can't use 2 breakers ( sources) to feed a single switch.
As mentioned, 240.8 prohibits this. And for good reason as it is dangerous thing to do on a number of levels. But I must admit he is not the first person to want to do this based on my experience.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yes it's a 400amp meter panel combo with (2)200 amp breakers feeding the 2 indoor panels

I have this same installation on a project coming up. I ordered two non-SER switches to install between each 200A MCB and load center. Generator will parallel the switches.

It’s also less than half the cost to do it this way. Non-SER switches are $550/ea, a 400A switch is $2300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm not sure we are all on the same page here. I understand the OP to say he has a 400 amp meter /main that has 2 200 amp service breakers that he wants to feed a single 400 amp ATS from the 2 200 amp service breakers . AM I understanding this correctly? If so this obviously can't be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.