Location of the grounding system

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandi

Hello All,
There's a system like this: POCO xfmr -----swbd 'A'----swbd 'B' (the distance from swbd 'A' to 'B' is 100ft)
swbd 'A' is a 2000A 208/120V switchboard that has (3) sections: Drip loop section, pull section and a 2000A main breaker section.
swbd 'B' is a 2000A 208/120V switchboard that feed all the loads of the building. The utility meter is installed at swbd 'B'.
The grounding system is installed at swbd 'B'. My question is that: shouldn't the grounding system be installed at swbd 'A' (which is owned by the building owner)?
Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the GEC must land no farther downstream than the service disconnect which you stated was in SWB A. Both A and B are within the same building?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Different levels but in the same building. Does it matter?
Yes and no. If there were two separate structures then each structure would have a GEC connected to its own GES. Within the same structure then the GEC cannot terminate only in SWBD B.

fandi

Yes and no. If there were two separate structures then each structure would have a GEC connected to its own GES. Within the same structure then the GEC cannot terminate only in SWBD B.
If I were the designer, I would install the GEC at switchboard 'A' because it's the first one from POCO xfmr but I'm not the designer so....

Status
Not open for further replies.