Location of smoke detector in shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious on this. I have a smoke detector going in an elevator shaft, but getting it piped to the deck is going to be near impossible. I've installed them on the shaft wall before, as well as on the deck. Is there any requirement specific to elevators to require then on the deck, or is is smoke detector placement similar to any other area. This shaft has no exhaust fan. And is this just an AHJ call? This isn't a job being designed with prints, just an added smoke detector asked for by AHJ to bring the elevator into compliance.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Elevator shafts always require smoke detector coverage per both the fire alarm code and the building code, so this isn't just added arbitrarily by the AHJ. As long as it covers the entire shaft ceiling area it can be placed anywhere including on the wall less than 12" from the deck. Coverage is the same as any other smoke detector. However, in Florida, the elevator inspectors are like the Fire Marshals. They don't seem to be bound by the code as much and often make unique requirements with little recourse, and unless you have a lot of power, it is best to just do what they want.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Elevator shafts always require smoke detector coverage per both the fire alarm code and the building code, so this isn't just added arbitrarily by the AHJ. As long as it covers the entire shaft ceiling area it can be placed anywhere including on the wall less than 12" from the deck. Coverage is the same as any other smoke detector. However, in Florida, the elevator inspectors are like the Fire Marshals. They don't seem to be bound by the code as much and often make unique requirements with little recourse, and unless you have a lot of power, it is best to just do what they want.
Yes, per the code, but you don't always put them in. If the hoistway is unsprinklered at the top, you may NOT install a smoke detector unless it's there to trigger hoistway ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.