Locate Storage and PV Array on separate building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whackit

I have a customer who wants to install a PV array and a storage battery in a separate garage/guest house from where the main service is. These would feed the main house. The battery would be located inside the garage. Not sure if this is allowed or not. See simple diagram for clarity. Thanks in advance for any help! Untitled 1.jpg

suicidelg

Occupation
Lead Electrician
Well 225.30 states you can have an additional feeder to a structure for Parallel production systems. It also lists optional stand by systems as well. I don't know that 225.30(A)(4) applies to the batteries though. I think it may only apply to a controller. Maybe you could qualify under 225.30(D) if it's DC from your battery.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think both 225.30(A)(4) and (5) provide the exceptions that allow this. I certainly think that battery powered systems can qualify as optional standby systems. There's nothing that limits the number of additional feeders allowed by those subsections. I don't think AC or DC is actually relevant. Just keep in mind that each of those circuits is supposed to have a disconnect where it enters the detached building.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Depends on the pay and the day
Many Utilities (not the AHJ) also require a LOTO (visible knife blade) disconnect (FOR THE SOLAR) at the Service Entrance Point. (Goes back to olde grid-tied generator days).

Dunno if your "Load Controller" (that is sort of lacking definition) doubles as that task? Or maybe the 200A Disconnect (showing as a Circuit Breaker) will pass for that? Might want to check with the local utility FIRST on all this.

suicidelg

Occupation
Lead Electrician
I think both 225.30(A)(4) and (5) provide the exceptions that allow this. I certainly think that battery powered systems can qualify as optional standby systems. There's nothing that limits the number of additional feeders allowed by those subsections. I don't think AC or DC is actually relevant. Just keep in mind that each of those circuits is supposed to have a disconnect where it enters the detached building.
The only reason that I was hesitant to say that 225.30(A)(5) absolutely allows just the battery to be in a different building with its own "Feeder" is because it states "Optional Standby Systems" so I'm not sure if that applies to the entire system or can includes components of the system. That's why I suggested 225.30(D) because if it's DC then it's a moot point and you could have a feeder to it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You're installation is not meaningfully different from someone who wants to put a fuel generator at an outbuilding and the transfer switch at the main building, or vice versa. Seems to me it's likely that's precisely the sort of thing the exception is written for.

Status
Not open for further replies.