Load calculation for a Greenhouse

Occupation
electrician
Hello, my client is building a greenhouse in his backyard, aside from typical grow lights and some receptacles he has the following:

13kw tankless water heater (60 amp breaker)
9kw sauna (40 amp breaker)
9000 btu 120 volt minisplit (15 amp single pole breaker)

I haven't had to do any load calculations in the past, I am leaning towards either a 100 amp or 125 amp subpanel, but am curious what others would do.
Thanks for the help!
-Mark

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
31 Kw @240 = 129
Dang close to a 125 and we don't know any other details. Most of it will not be on at the same time.

No, I didn't do any other calculations.
100 to a 125 isn't that big of a jump.
Where did 31KW come from? He said 9000 BTU mini split, not 9000W. But there are other loads based on either square footage or the installed lighting. But the answer is probably still a 125A feeder.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello, my client is building a greenhouse in his backyard, aside from typical grow lights and some receptacles he has the following:

13kw tankless water heater (60 amp breaker)
9kw sauna (40 amp breaker)
9000 btu 120 volt minisplit (15 amp single pole breaker)

I haven't had to do any load calculations in the past, I am leaning towards either a 100 amp or 125 amp subpanel, but am curious what others would do.
Thanks for the help!
-Mark
You are closing in on 100 amps just with the sauna and water heater. I would be looking at running a 150 amp feeder. Probably can get by with 125 amp but you never know what might get plugged in down the road.

Occupation
electrician
Thanks for the help, I am going to try and talk him into buying a smaller sauna and or water heater...
It's only a 288 square foot space

Occupation
electrician
Yeah, it's unusual. Sounds like we'll upgrade the service to 400 amps and run 200 to the greenhouse, I know he'll need the extra power for future projects.