Load Calcuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike0w

On a recent project I had worked on the lead engineer recieved a phone call and the owner had questioned how are loads were calculated, this was for a fitness center located in a new strip mall, about 20,000 sq ft. when calculating the loads we used the equipment nameplate rating in our schedules for the va at each receptacle for the associated exercise equipment, and tanning booths, however the owner hired another consultant to review the documents and his comment was that the 80% demand factor applied to the gym equipment was too light? He would have used 100%. Does anyone else have experience with fitness centers? Should the load really be 100% for the equipment? The tanning booths I can see with a limited amount they could be in use at one time but what are the chances of all the equipment running at full output at the same time? thanks in advance.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
From a business standpoint, I think the Owner would like to assume that all equipment is going to be used all the time. Although this may not be realistic, there is probably a good chance that at least for some portion of the time/day, all equipment could be in use. I would also have to recommend the 100% load factor. Applying demand factors is a tricky business and unless you know for sure, error on ther high side.

jtester

I've done 2 fitness centers in the last few months. The Owners would have loved me to use an 80% demand factor. I insisted on 100%. Where did you get your 80%?

Jim T

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Here on the left coast my fitness chain is 24Hour Fitness. These clubs often get crowded during the week after 5pm, doesn't matter which city.

When I've been there around rush hour all electric-excercise machines, lights, TV's, staff computers, and Air conditioning is running 100%. People stand around waiting for the machines. A power outage during this time would clearlly be actionable against the incompetent installation.

While most people don't run the treadmills at 10 MPH, I don't believe the variable speed of those machines changes power consumption that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.