Listed v identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

I am preparing for a master test and I keep making mistakes when it comes to listed v identified.
I understand the definitions.
Which equipment has to be listed and which has to be identified?
Do you have a cheat sheet for this?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am preparing for a master test and I keep making mistakes when it comes to listed v identified.
I understand the definitions.
Which equipment has to be listed and which has to be identified?
Do you have a cheat sheet for this?
I don't recall specifically but I think the term identified is only used in the chapters referring to classified area installations. I don't think there's a cheat sheet for what has to be listed and what doesn't. Each section of the code that requires listing for parts will just say what has to be listed.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I had the same issue when I took my test.

1st Understand the difference. Ser Art 100

I used Mikes Master prep book and I remember getting some wrong based on Listed vs ID. I simply memorized the examples as to where something had to be Listed and when it had to just be identified. I took the MD state test and there were no questions pertaining to that, but I see you're in NY.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I don't recall specifically but I think the term identified is only used in the chapters referring to classified area installations. I don't think there's a cheat sheet for what has to be listed and what doesn't. Each section of the code that requires listing for parts will just say what has to be listed.
Benders for PVC must be identified if used in the field.

darekelec

I think only Mike Holt has these questions and not any city test.
But we can play this game. For egsample

Wirenuts, handle ties identified.
anything outside listed.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
So the people using hair dryers in the field to make bends and PVC are not following the code?
If the end result is professional and does not collapse the conduit or kink it, then I am sure the inspector wont care or ask. If they do ask then the inspector can "Identify" the hair dryer as acceptable based on the acceptable results.

If it looks like garbage and the inspector says "What did you use to bend that?" and you show a hair dryer, the inspector can say. Nope do it again and use _______ instead.

So do it right and its no issue, if it looks like garbage you may need to explain or do it over.

norcal

A hairdryer to bend PVC? A heat gun, yes, a hairdryer is not going to warm it enough to do anything.

Heat guns & weed burners work for bending pipe but they certainly are not identified for it, but if someone leaves scorch marks on the PVC it will raise red flags.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It depends on your interpretation or 'identified'.

Or actually the AHJ's definition.
Yes, it is the AHJ's call....identified means "recognized as suitable", but the code never tells us who is permitted to identify the equipment as suitable, yes it gives examples of who can recognize something, but those are in an Informational Note and not enforceable code language.

I believe that intent is that the equipment manufacturer does that, but no where does the code tell us that. And even the code itself, in the exception #2 to 725.130(A), permits the installer to recognize a piece of equipment for a use that the manufacturer did not recognize it for.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
A hairdryer to bend PVC? A heat gun, yes, a hairdryer is not going to warm it enough to do anything.

Heat guns & weed burners work for bending pipe but they certainly are not identified for it, but if someone leaves scorch marks on the PVC it will raise red flags.

I’ve used a hair dryer before with great results. Better than whats shown in the video.
I will admit for 2” and up your probably wasting your time.
my pipe heater heats up too much of the smaller pipe. It doesn’t look exactly right..

Status
Not open for further replies.