Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It is 110.14(D). I can not find a copy of the exact wording
Here you go, manually transcribed from the free online access:

2017 NEC said:
110.14(D) Installation. Where a tightening torque is indicated as a numeric value on equipment or in installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, a calibrated torque tool shall be used to achieve the indicated torque value, unless the equipment manufacturer has provided installation instructions for an alternative method of achieving the required torque.

Cheers, Wayne

jumper

Does anyone have the documentation of the issues that caused this change? Where was the life safety issue that drives so many changes?

Was not really a life safety issue. A NEMA guy introduced it and it passed.

Here is the PI substantiation info:

UL 62275: Cable Ties for Electrical Installations, was published with a June 1, 2014 Effective Date. This standard is harmonized throughout North America and with IEC 62275: Cable management systems – Cable ties for electrical installations.

UL 62275 establishes a classification system of cable tie “Type” designators principally to assist specifiers. With respect to the NEC, cable ties identified as Type 2S or Type 21S are intended to provide “securement and support” in accordance with the requirements for securement and support of flexible conduits and cables at maximum spacing intervals specified in the Code.

Listing of cable ties approved for support of flexible conduits and cables is appropriate as the standard requires markings that identify critical performance ranges that can impact their suitability for use, including minimum and maximum operating temperature and resistance to ultraviolet light for outdoor installations. The proposed new requirements will provide for objective determination for suitability of cable ties for this use.

Importantly, cable ties identified as Type 1, Type 11, Type 2 or Type 21, without the “S” suffix for “securement and support” serve many useful wire management purposes in electrical installations, including but not limited to: bundling or routing wires for “neat and workmanlike” installations [Section 110.12]; grouping conductors in multi-wire circuits for circuit identification [Section 210.4(D)]; maintaining critical spacing in cabinets; or otherwise to provide supplemental means for routing conductors, flexible conduits or cables.

More information on cable ties Types is available at http://www.nema.org/Products/Pages/Cable-Ties.aspx

This Public Input is consistent with similar proposals to amend the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code, Part I. NEMA has also submitted complementary Public Inputs for NEC Sections 320.30, 330.30, 348.30, 350.30, 356.30, and 362.30.

iwire

Staff member
Gonna be hard. Most small devices and such have them.

Leviton Receptacle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNGWLD1SidHKy-4mjXUyOq0oKtbXWw&cad=rja

I agree, but if you create a demand often the gap will be filled.

Like Peter I really don't see this happening for most devices.

They sell back stabs and now push in wire connectors but use a screw and they think its beyond our skill set to tighten it correctly.

Luckily just a few more code cycles and I am out of it.

peter d

I agree, but if you create a demand often the gap will be filled.

Like Peter I really don't see this happening for most devices.

They sell back stabs and now push in wire connectors but use a screw and they think its beyond our skill set to tighten it correctly.

Luckily just a few more code cycles and I am out of it.

Out of it? As in retire? :huh:

peter d

Honest question here.

How is that going to work? Are they going to watch you 40 hours a week?

In my experience, most inspectors (at least on the resi side) only care if you installed AFCI's and ground rods. Then pretty much everything else is stuff they make up as they go along. Torque specs? :lol::lol::lol:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Honest question here.

I don't think they have to watch you per se. Maybe they can just ask you for A tourquing tool and try a couple of screws or lugs

jumper

Honest question here.

It is a good question.

How do you prove you torqued a connection if they are not there watching? We are not supposed to retorque, so......

I understand the necessity of big stuff, but devices and such? Another rule not completely thought out that passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.