lightning protection for residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do you want a surge protector or a lightning protection system? They are radically different things.

if you are looking for a surge protector just get whatever is sold by the brand of main box you have and install it there. You would want what is called a type 1 SPD.

A lightning protection system is something that has to be designed and installed by a UL listed contractor.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Also, if you are concerned about nearby lightning strikes, be very careful about _bonding_, making sure that all incoming services (electric, phone, cable) are connected to the _same_ earth electrode system.

-Jon

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
A company called “Delta” offers a residential lightning arrestor ( wafer style design in a cylinder ) LA-302 R that could mount to panel or junction box. They also had a surge capacitor unit also CA-302 R

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Also, if you are concerned about nearby lightning strikes, be very careful about _bonding_, making sure that all incoming services (electric, phone, cable) are connected to the _same_ earth electrode system.

-Jon
Definitely, I had a customer that lived below a rock quarry, constantly losing his phones and tv’s. Went out to look at it, service came in at one end of the house, phone and tv came in at the other end. Added another ground rod at the phone/tv end, buried a #4 bare copper in the yard and connected both points. He never had a problem again!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A type 1 SPD is installed on the supply side of the service, IE ahead of your main disconnect. This would be a type the POCO would install. Check with your POCO and see if they have an SPD that goes in the meter socket.
If not, you would install a type 2 SPD at the panel. Install it directly opposite the branch circuit breaker, with no loops or slack in the SPD wires.
And then install point of use SPDs at electronic equipment (type 3). The service SPD reduces the surge, and then the impedance of the building wiring reduces it further, and then your type 3s can reduce if further.
For a Type 2 SPD, I would expect to pay $200-$300. Type 3, I use a Leviton that is about $15.00.
Leviton, Panamax, many good types, just look at the specs and compare
And remember what Mike Holt said
"More is better, you get what you pay for."
Your reference in the 2020 NEC is new (well relocated) Article 242.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Be sure to read the exclusions and limitations of a surge device's connected-equipment warranty.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
A type 1 SPD is installed on the supply side of the service, IE ahead of your main disconnect. This would be a type the POCO would install. Check with your POCO and see if they have an SPD that goes in the meter socket.
If not, you would install a type 2 SPD at the panel. Install it directly opposite the branch circuit breaker, with no loops or slack in the SPD wires.
And then install point of use SPDs at electronic equipment (type 3). The service SPD reduces the surge, and then the impedance of the building wiring reduces it further, and then your type 3s can reduce if further.
For a Type 2 SPD, I would expect to pay $200-$300. Type 3, I use a Leviton that is about $15.00.
So if the POCO has one, that should be good enough ? I've seen POCO install those.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The POCO models that go in the meter socket are very effective as they have zero lead length, the type you wire in have a max lead lenght of 18". Doubling the lead length doubles the impedance.
So IMO the POCO version should be effective but, again, more is better

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
The POCO models that go in the meter socket are very effective as they have zero lead length, the type you wire in have a max lead lenght of 18". Doubling the lead length doubles the impedance.
So IMO the POCO version should be effective but, again, more is better
So, I should recommend type 1 and type 2 to my customer ? Or all three ?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
type 1 is the best if available and its a simple install by POCO type 2 has to be wired in at panel
Type 3 is the typicall plug in available at at big box
What you want is
Type 1 and Type 3
or
Type 2 and Type 3
Put the type 3s where there are electronics, kitchen, TV, computer, phones. Like I said I get the type 3 levitons for about $15 and they have really good specs. I thinks its a 5300P
Here is the app manual https://www.scribd.com/document/996...rge-Protection-and-Line-Conditioning-Products
Here is the product catalog

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
type 1 is the best if available and its a simple install by POCO type 2 has to be wired in at panel
Type 3 is the typicall plug in available at at big box
What you want is
Type 1 and Type 3
or
Type 2 and Type 3
Put the type 3s where there are electronics, kitchen, TV, computer, phones. Like I said I get the type 3 levitons for about $15 and they have really good specs. I thinks its a 5300P
Here is the app manual https://www.scribd.com/document/996...rge-Protection-and-Line-Conditioning-Products
Here is the product catalog
Thank you !

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
May I also suggest Zero Surge brand point-of-use surge protectors. No MOVs to wear out; 10 year warranty.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
May I also suggest Zero Surge brand point-of-use surge protectors. No MOVs to wear out; 10 year warranty.

The ZeroSurge, Brick Wall & SurgeX (all use the same technology) point-of-use surge protectors, are well thought of in the pro-audio and high-end hi-fi fields. But they are all extremely pricey.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
The ZeroSurge, Brick Wall & SurgeX (all use the same technology) point-of-use surge protectors, are well thought of in the pro-audio and high-end hi-fi fields. But they are all extremely pricey.
I've seen nasty pictures of MOV power strips that have burned up. And the "working" light on those strips is usually just a pilot light!

My Zero-Surge units have been working for many (probably too many) years-- every now and then I'll hear one of them make a loud HUMMMmmmm when there's a storm in the area, so I suspect they're still working (although that's a negative proof).

When you consider that you'll pay several thousand dollars for a computer or hi-fi installation, and 'protect' it with a $30 'power strip...' I consider the ZeroSurge inexpensive!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
pretty sure you can install a type one anywhere you can install a type 2 or 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.