Lighting relays & box fill calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
2017 - 314.16(B)(1) Conductor Fill

The last line of this code section states, “A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.”

Referencing that code, would you think the wiring leads off a lighting relay should be counted towards box fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Depends, are you talking about a relay such as a RIB relay? Or a relay that’s in the same box? I’m going to assume a RIB relay, since it is external of the box, the leads do not originate and end in the box. It would be treated the same as the other wires passing through or ending in the box even if not all of the leads are used. It would be counted as such.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. I just installed a RIB today. It's just like a PVC male adapter with wires in it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
2017 - 314.16(B)(1) Conductor Fill

The last line of this code section states, “A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.”
I think that is aimed at pig tails.
Referencing that code, would you think the wiring leads off a lighting relay should be counted towards box fill?
I wouldn't. I may loose an argument if an inspector really pressed the issue but I doubt the conversation would ever come up.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Thanks. Just curious how others interpret that.

I had an inspector fail me on a final because they want me to provide box fill calcs on all of my lighting relays.

Job specs required them to all be in the mechanical room; I ran everything to a wire way then nippled down to 4-11/16 x 1-1/2” boxes with the same size extension ring.

I’ve got several with four relays on the box; each relay has 2x #14 power conductors and 2x #12 switch conductors.

I ran a single L/N/G to each box to power the relay then a switch loop for each circuit.

I ended up with 58.75 Cu in of box fill with an allowable area of 59 Cu in. That’s counting the relay conductors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.