Lighting pole grounding in concrete medians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my apologizes if this question has been asked.

I'm doing some work in Ontario where new metal lighting poles on concrete bases are being mounted in a concrete median.
I cannot seem to find any related documents stating every lighting pole needs a ground rod placed next to it, but I have read over and over that every pole needs a ground rod (lightning protection maybe?). If they are in fact required, how would they be mounted in the concrete? Do I install a handwell adjacent to the pole to allow for connections and testing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I moved this to the Canadian forum. In the US there is no need for a ground rod at every pole. It is often done but it is not required. Hopefully some Canadians will reach out. [MENTION=83316]electricguy[/MENTION] [MENTION=159332]Eddy_Current[/MENTION] [MENTION=159339]daveEM[/MENTION]

414Mhz

Hi all, my apologizes if this question has been asked.

I'm doing some work in Ontario where new metal lighting poles on concrete bases are being mounted in a concrete median.
I cannot seem to find any related documents stating every lighting pole needs a ground rod placed next to it, but I have read over and over that every pole needs a ground rod (lightning protection maybe?). If they are in fact required, how would they be mounted in the concrete? Do I install a handwell adjacent to the pole to allow for connections and testing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lightning protection is not required for each pole.
Every pole needs to be bonded back to the source, with proper grounding at the source.
ESA has a streetlighting guide online. https://www.esasafe.com/assets/file.../Streetlight-Guideline-Final-Ver2-May2015.pdf
If you happen to get the work, they also have a guide for Traffic pole/controller bonding as well.

If you did require a ground rod at any pole, I would just bond to rebar in the concrete base.

Status
Not open for further replies.