Lighting off load side GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLSA

Do you do this or would you do this? This is in a basement just curious if any of you would consider doing this.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I suppose it would be good protection for someone changing lights all the time, I’ve seen bathrooms with vanity lights of the load side of the GFCI.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Every dual function breaker provides gfci protection for entire circuits, even those with lighting. I'm currently wiring a new homw with lights and receps in a crawl space, and will protect that entire circuit as such

I also use faceless (dead front) gfci devices in bathrooms where I need gfci protection for Broan 744 recessed fan/light units.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I had a customer once that requested that his garage lights to be on the load side of the GFCI receptacle that he used for his garage freezer. His rationale behind it was that he didn't always look in his garage freezer ever day, but he did utilize his lights daily. This way, if he had nuisance tripping he would know that he had to pull out the freezer and reset the GFCI before losing all his meat.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Agree with infinity.
I see this as a safety issue quite frankly.
GFCI trips for something silly, your left in the dark stumbling around trying to get the GFCI outlet reset

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In most cases, "no". Don't want to be left in the dark. I do see it often on bath circuits due to Light/Fan units over tubs needing GFCI.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Do you frequently see nuicance tripping of gfci?
I think that got worked out about 20 years ago
No. But say your in the basement with a bad “something” and the GFCI trips...
Also, lightning storms close by will trip them.

Status
Not open for further replies.