Lighting Level Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcaldwell

:?: Has anyone found a lighting Level Standard? I have been trying to find a standard for Food Production Areas. All I seem to find is ranges like 50 - 100 foot candles?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
All I seem to find is ranges like 50 - 100 foot candles?

What more would you want? Just shoot for the middle like 75 fc. Or ask the owner, and if they want it bright, shoot for 90 or 100 fc.

There isn't a lot of difference between 50 fc and 100 fc. I have heard a doubling of fc is the minimum change you have to make to get a noticable difference.

Steve

peteo

Quoting FEMP here,
"How much light?"

* In the past, the IESNA established an illumination selection procedure
* It permitted the choice of an appropriate amount of task illumination taking several factors into account

"The New IESNA Design Procedure"
* Part of Ninth Edition Handbook (2000)
* Based on principles of The Quality of the Visual Environment
* Basis: The Design Guide

In short, the same illuminance categories are still there. The new six step procedure is slightly more time consuming, but much more meaningful. On a related subject, there may be energy requirements in your area now... a boon to me, when I get silly customers with a 'more is better' attitude.

jtester

quote by peteo
"On a related subject, there may be energy requirements in your area now... a boon to me, when I get silly customers with a 'more is better' attitude"

I wish I posessed your sense of humor. I've been fired by one architect and covertly threatened with dismissal by another, when I insisted on following the 2003 International Energy Conservation Code which has been adopted by New Mexico, when I refused to install more lighting than the wattage budget allows.

It seems that no AHJ in the area enforces Section 805 which governs energy consumption.
The Architects believe that if they aren't caught, they can get away with anything, and I have been told that.

Thankfully there is enough work to keep me busy without this one and maybe two customers, but I am disappointed. I recently put on a presentation related to Section 805 for the local plan reviewers, but their bosses said until they could enforce all of the IECC, they wouldn't enforce selective sections.

That doesn't exempt the conscientious designer from incorporating all the applicable codes, but it is fodder for discussion.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.