Lighting a big horse stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

So one of my customers aquired a horse stable with a riding ring.

Roughly 3000sq ft 14' cellings

I'm thinking of using about 12-15 high bays leds . The customer wants to be able to find these lights does anyone have any experience doing this if so any recommendations would be great . Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I'm also thinking of the motion type lights that go on as the space is occupied

I'm looking for something that just works I've had experience with lights that would go on with motion but not stay on . You would need to wave your hands around to activate motion sensor again.

Do any of you lighting pros have a suggestion for me

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I agree the motion sensor not a great idea. I don't recall ever seeing an arena light with motion sensing. Maybe it's available.

As for qty and wattage, etc...
Arena lighting should be about 25 lumens per square foot minimum. 3,000 sf probably 75,000-80,000 lumens. That would be very low wattage high bays if you use 12-15 fixtures

Anyway, here's a page you might be interested in

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Dont forget barns and other similar agricultural buildings have specifications for lighting that includes protection from accidental breaking of bulb and the prevention of potentially hot parts from making contact with flammable materials if it breaks ie: hay. Not sure if led lighting has some level of exemption or not and what you're looking at for appearance but here is a couple of old school example of that requirement in application, the one on right is an LED.
1609845463682.png 1609845799837.png
I've seen LEDs with similar configuration as the jelly jar on left.

nickelec

I like the old school bond look LED fixtures have a link by chance?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I have had good luck with hyperlight. I put the 160w in my own garage with 15 foot ceilings. 0-10v dimmable. Going on a year with zero issues.

nickelec

Can you dim multiple lights with 0-10v dimming I didn't do much of it there's probably going to be around 12-15 lights

nickelec

I get the 0-10 v dimmer but do they work like regular dimmers in regards to a wattage limit

For instance how many 100w high bays can you put on one dimmer

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I get the 0-10 v dimmer but do they work like regular dimmers in regards to a wattage limit

For instance how many 100w high bays can you put on one dimmer

No, they don't work like regular dimmers but someone else will need to give details.

As an experiment I used a 0-10v analog output on my CLICK to dim an LED fixture. Worked pretty slick, but it was an experiment and IDR the details anymore.

mikeames

Occupation
Its tricky. You can size the dimmer the traditional way using just wattage/ current of your load and assume the dimmer will handle the LED driver load. That's what I do because I have not used them on jobs large enough where an error in product selection will be a big deal. Or you coudl read the specs of the LED driver and the dimmer and make sure.

"Standard 60929 Annex E requires the ballast (driver) to limit the current draw to 2.0 mA maximum. This means that a control with a 50mA capacity can operate 25 ballasts (drivers) if they have a specified current of 2.0mA."

So your 100 watt example. You would be able to put 14 fixtures on a 15a circuit, but just like a normal dimmer your would need to find a 1500w dimmer. I don't know of one but I am sure its out there. Here's is a 1200w https://www.amazon.com/EATON-Controls-DF10P-C1-Decorator-Dimmer/dp/B00UXR8YTO#descriptionAndDetails

Last edited:

mikeames

Occupation
Status
Not open for further replies.