Lift station classified area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petemoran

There are folks here far more qualified to answer so I'll await their input but it sounds to me like you have splices in a Classified location... no classified box, no seal-offs

Yeah I would like to see if there are other better ways to come to an end result where the motor and float leads can be removed without dealing with a seal off to do it.. Thank you for the input..

oldsparky52

The motor leads come in threw the bottom of the j-box..

The lift stations I used to wire had 2 pumps and 3 float switches. That is 5 cables.

How do you bring those cable into that box (I know they come in the back). Is there an SO cord connector on the cable? How many cables are you dealing with?

You have standard LBs and sealoffs? Is the AHJ saying that JB is in a classified area?

oldsparky52

Yeah I would like to see if there are other better ways to come to an end result where the motor and float leads can be removed without dealing with a seal off to do it.. Thank you for the input..

Post 6

When do you need seals? When a conduit enters a junction box that needs to be explosion proof and when it leaves a classified location. So the motors and floats are sealed at the factory and don't need any additional sealing. The cables are very long so you can route the cable to outside of the classified location prior to entering the non explosion proof controller that is mounted above the classified location.

The tubs I've worked with came with a 2" threaded hub for the electricians use. They design this system for the cabling to go through a 2" conduit. If you don't let that conduit leave the classified location then you don't need to seal it. Did I mention that if the conduit does not leave the classified location .....

Use a cord grip on the cord at the bottom of your controller cabinet with an air gap between the top of the conduit still in the classified location and the bottom of the controller cabinet that is out of the classified location.

By installing it this way, motors and float switches can be replaced without breaking seals and without making joints in a j-box.

Attachments

• lift station.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.