License Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseals

I'm trying to obtain my Journeyman's electrical licesnse and in need of some help. I worked industrial all my career and it never required a license.

I started doing electrical work in the Navy as an ET, electronic tech back in 1975, four year tour of duty. Then worked as an Instrument and electrical tech IBEW 2286 for a public utility from 1979 to 1995, 16 years. Then five years of I/E design work and then back on my tools from 2000 to 2008. The last six years I've been in a planner coordinator and designer role.

I'm making a move down under, Oz, and to be able to work there, I need an electrical license from the states. I live in Texas and the rules here say I need to have worked for a Master Electrician for Four years. They did a grandfather thing in 2004, I was not aware of it then and now they won't accept my past work record.

All I want is a seat for a test and let the test determine if I know my stuff....

Are there any states out there that will allow me to sit for a test based on my past work record?

growler

I'm trying to obtain my Journeyman's electrical licesnse and in need of some help. I worked industrial all my career and it never required a license.
I'm making a move down under, Oz, and to be able to work there, I need an electrical license from the states.
Are there any states out there that will allow me to sit for a test based on my past work record?

There may be, you would need to submit a request to take the test and then it goes before the board.

I think it may be easier for you to get a contractor's license (master's) than a journeyman's license.

You can try in Georgia by going to the Secretary of State's web site .

A lot will depend on how you present the information. They want to know what you were doing during those years. Letters from past employeers would help, such as from from the IBEW stating what you were doing ( the amount of time doing electrical work and the type of electrical work).

Good luck.

fmtjfw

If you can't find a state that will recognize your years of experience, you can take 9 months of trade school in WV and sit for the journeyman's test.
The 9 months would be full school days starting in Aug/Sep for essentially no tuition / fees or 9 months evenings for about $3500. You would be issued a apprentice liicense by virtue of your enrollment. Or you could take the App. test, which with your experience and little brush up on the code should be a breeze.

I guess the boom is still going on the OZ. There were skilled worker shortages when mining was booming in 2012.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you can prove your hours California will probably allow you.
They need 4 years of journeyman verifiable experience (check stubs or legal paper showing your hours). But don't take my word for it call the state.

Here is application.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/ElectricalCertificationForm.pdf

That won't work in CA anymore. We have that General electricians journeyman license. If you don't have four years as a journeyman there then you cannot apply. All the grandfathering is gone from here also.
You need to find a state with lax rules.

It may work to find a state that lets you get a license but has to hire a Master Electrician. But most only allow one master to one license.

How much time do you have for all this? It won't happen overnight.

I started doing electrical work in the Navy as an ET, electronic tech back in 1975, four year tour of duty. Then worked as an Instrument and electrical tech IBEW 2286 for a public utility from 1979 to 1995, 16 years. Then five years of I/E design work and then back on my tools from 2000 to 2008. The last six years I've been in a planner coordinator and designer role.

I'm making a move down under, Oz, and to be able to work there, I need an electrical license from the states. I live in Texas and the rules here say I need to have worked for a Master Electrician for Four years. They did a grandfather thing in 2004, I was not aware of it then and now they won't accept my past work record.

All I want is a seat for a test and let the test determine if I know my stuff....

You could try Washington state. I wouldn't say they are lax but they seem open and reasonable to out of state experience. The main thing you will need is payroll documentation of 8000 hours. They use psi so you wouldn't have to go there to take the test. Or You could get your electrical contractors and administrators license there - not sure if that would meet your needs - but those have no prerequisites to sit for

dryseals

Thank you every one for your responses. And it looks like California is my best bet. They still have a grandfather clause, it's a slow process, but I have to file with the Social Security department for a certified copy of my past work record. It takes 120 days for the certified copy, but it will allow me to take the test in California. I leave for Oz on the 8th of Oct, so I'll have to fly back to take the test.

@fmtjfw
Yes they are very strict about migration. I attended a recruitment meeting from the Oz government in Houston back in May of 2012. You had to request a seat and I was selected, but they were more interested in transmission line workers. The entire licensing process there is a head ache for outsiders. The guy from the Oz government explained that they made the rules strict to limit who they allowed in the country. Demand for craft workers is very high there and now the rules are strangling them.

I'm actually more of a Instrument and controls person with a strong electrical background and I have an ISA Certification as a Level III for control systems. I worked a lot of high voltage when I was younger and I gradually moved away from it as time went on. High voltage has my deepest respect, I lost three friends to a breaker explosion back in the nineties when I worked for a power company. Equipment fault, but it made a lasting impression on me and I moved more towards control systems. But the only way I can get back into control systems in Oz is do a four year apprenticeship there (I'm 56) or if I have my electrical license from the states, I can apply for the electrical license there and once approved I can then take the test for an instrument certification.

Thanks again every one...

Best test ever

Best test ever

in Illinois each testing location (usually a city) sets their own rules as to experience etc. I highly recommend Elgin.
They test 2 people per day by appointment scheduled about a month ahead, (sometimes even less)
A few years ago when my Chicago license was no longer recognized by several municipalities because the test wasn't based on the NEC, I scheduled an appointment and took the test in Elgin 2 weeks later. They provide the code book and copy of Elgin's "additions" to the code that are tested at the end clearly marked at the top of the page that "these questions apply to Elgin's additions to the code."

Test costs $100. License $25/year (renews Jan.1st each year)
For test requirements see 16.24.40 here: http://www.cityofelgin.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/829
Their code "additions" are section 16.24.070 on the same page.

If you send me your information so I can verify it beforehand I'd be glad to "sponsor" and sign for you.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thank you every one for your responses. And it looks like California is my best bet. They still have a grandfather clause, it's a slow process, but I have to file with the Social Security department for a certified copy of my past work record. It takes 120 days for the certified copy, but it will allow me to take the test in California. I leave for Oz on the 8th of Oct, so I'll have to fly back to take the test.

@fmtjfw
Yes they are very strict about migration. I attended a recruitment meeting from the Oz government in Houston back in May of 2012. You had to request a seat and I was selected, but they were more interested in transmission line workers. The entire licensing process there is a head ache for outsiders. The guy from the Oz government explained that they made the rules strict to limit who they allowed in the country. Demand for craft workers is very high there and now the rules are strangling them.

I'm actually more of a Instrument and controls person with a strong electrical background and I have an ISA Certification as a Level III for control systems. I worked a lot of high voltage when I was younger and I gradually moved away from it as time went on. High voltage has my deepest respect, I lost three friends to a breaker explosion back in the nineties when I worked for a power company. Equipment fault, but it made a lasting impression on me and I moved more towards control systems. But the only way I can get back into control systems in Oz is do a four year apprenticeship there (I'm 56) or if I have my electrical license from the states, I can apply for the electrical license there and once approved I can then take the test for an instrument certification.

hm. i'm jet lagged, so if this doesn't make any sense, blame american airlines.

could you sit for a contractors license in california? C-10 is the classification.
if you could qualify and pass that test, would that put you in a better situation
regarding work in oz? sounds like it's about the same level of BS both for the
journeyman and C-10's in your situation however.

the ibew time should be easily verifiable. pension records.... if the job classification
you held could be held by an inside wireman, out here they call it electrical mechanic,
the hours worked should be able to apply to sit for a test... and if you call up the
benefits office and are nice to them, they probably can spit out a statement of
hours worked in a day or two... i'd start there.... good luck.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

@fmtjfw

That is great for you.

Also a bit weird for those that make their start in CA and stay with it. See if you start at a apprentice you need to complete I think either 2 or 4 years before you can sit for your general jorneymans test. Then you will need to have 4 years at the general journeyman to sit for the C-10 test.

From what you say is all you need to prove 4 years at a journeyman through maybe SS . Who's to say different. Gota Love CA

Status
Not open for further replies.