Leviton LFTA Lug Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Electrician sent a picture of a Leviton Load Center using a LFTA Lug Kit.
His concern is that the plastic safety covers can be lifted exposing the terminals with the cover installed.
It appears to me that the breaker space knockout should have not been removed from the cover leaving the assembly protected.
Anyone familiar with these sub-feeds ??

Attachments

• LFTA.jpg
    LFTA.jpg
    745.9 KB · Views: 42

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is something wrong with the installation in that photo. Every panel I've ever seen the pryouts go inwards is this new for Leviton panels? Do you have a larger photo of the entire panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Only other pic:

Attachments

• Leviton 2000.jpg
    Leviton 2000.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 44

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The breaker KOs should not have been removed when the lug kit was installed. However it does not appear that the instructions tell you not to remove the KOs.
Was this an application where a main breaker was removed and replaced with a main lug kit?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Unsure of the details... it was more of a "what went wrong question"..

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Doesn’t look like filler blanks will fit with the sub feed kit installed. Not familiar with that panel type, but looks like there is no hold down mechanism? Appears to be plug in breakers?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
That would be my guess.
I'm not familiar with the Leviton panels.
That panel looks very busy already and there are no branch circuits leaving it yet.
In the new Leviton panel, all branches terminate on a bus bar, no terminations made on a breaker. Kind of not only plug on neutral but a plug on hot as well. One of their selling points are it allows all terminations be made up on rough in before setting breakers and powering up.
I thing the issue with the first picture is that as was already mentioned the KO should never have been removed for the feeder lugs. Pic 2 you can see the feeds to the main breaker so those lugs wouldn't need a locking screw as it doesn't appear to be a back feed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the new Leviton panel, all branches terminate on a bus bar, no terminations made on a breaker. Kind of not only plug on neutral but a plug on hot as well. One of their selling points are it allows all terminations be made up on rough in before setting breakers and powering up.
Also makes it easier for someone to put in a larger breaker.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is something wrong with the installation in that photo. Every panel I've ever seen the pryouts go inwards is this new for Leviton panels? Do you have a larger photo of the entire panel?
That's what I am thinking. Almost looks like cover is backwards.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I thing the issue with the first picture is that as was already mentioned the KO should never have been removed for the feeder lugs. Pic 2 you can see the feeds to the main breaker so those lugs wouldn't need a locking screw as it doesn't appear to be a back feed.
Can’t see the feeds to the main on the picture I see, but I did notice the main breaker at the top now.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Can’t see the feeds to the main on the picture I see, but I did notice the main breaker at the top now.
That is part of reason it looks so "busy", the right side gutter has both feeder and service wires in the one space. Doesn't leave any room for the branch wireing on that side with 6- 4/0 wire running in that same space. Moving the feeder to the opposite side would serve 2 purposes, clean up a little the gutter on the right and gets the taps under the closed breaker KOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.