Level 2 Car Charging Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have level 2 car charging station install outside parking lot of grocery store. The charger is fed from inside the electric room panelboard A of the grocery store located way at the opposite end of the store.

The branch circuit from Panelboard A has phase, neutral and equipment grounding conductor. Was wondering if any type of grounding electrode is required at the level 2 car charging station? I looked but maybe I overlooked NEC 2014 section 625. Anyone please help or let me know your opinion

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have level 2 car charging station install outside parking lot of grocery store. The charger is fed from inside the electric room panelboard A of the grocery store located way at the opposite end of the store.

The branch circuit from Panelboard A has phase, neutral and equipment grounding conductor. Was wondering if any type of grounding electrode is required at the level 2 car charging station? I looked but maybe I overlooked NEC 2014 section 625. Anyone please help or let me know your opinion

Sorry forgot to add but time ran out. There are 2 branch circuits from panelboard A to the level 2 car charging station: one is 120V single phase and other 208V single phase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hmmm. What allows two branch circuit to be run to that separate structure? Perhaps the "different characteristics" exception for 208V and 120V? But that could have been obtained in a multiwire branch circuit or feeder. I imagine the circuit sizes are different. With a multiwire branch circuit or two branch circuits, I don't believe a ground electrode is required. With a feeder, it would. Wonder what the install instructions say.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Installed probably fifty of them, all inspected, never had to drive a ground rod. Even in North Carolina where some jurisdictions consider a post a structure! LOL!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hmmm. What allows two branch circuit to be run to that separate structure? Perhaps the "different characteristics" exception for 208V and 120V? But that could have been obtained in a multiwire branch circuit or feeder. I imagine the circuit sizes are different. With a multiwire branch circuit or two branch circuits, I don't believe a ground electrode is required. With a feeder, it would. Wonder what the install instructions say.
The definition of "structure" was change to exclude "equipment" in the 2017 code for this very reason. I see the charging stations as equipment and not as a structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.