Level 1 EVSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

Do level 1 120V 15 & 20A receptacles have to be GFCI Protected? Are these required to be dedicated circuits?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thought that the purpose of level 1 charging is to provide a portable connection that can be plugged into a regular 15 or 20 amp circuit. Wouldn't GFCI protection be dependent on the location of the receptacle?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Another silly Brit question.
What is Level 1 EVSE? [h=2][/h]

Besoeker3

Occupation
What is Level 1 EVSE? [h=2][/h]

mjc1060

I am sorry let me clarify. We are installing Level 2 evse in a condominium parking garage. So There is a resident with a plug in hybrid that is using an existing 120V 15 A receptacle without gfci protection. The HOA asked us to bring the Phev into code compliance. So my question is if the receptacle is existing do we still need a dedicated circuit and does this need to be gfci protected?

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
What is Level 1 EVSE?

Fair question from a UK resident ... since the Level 1 seem to assume 120V.

I __ASSUME__ you know the EVSE term (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) since it should be world-wide ... https://guide.openenergymonitor.org/integrations/openevse/ discusses it as it applies to the UK.

Here, USA, most (all?) Level 1 can be plugged into a "standard" 120V receptacle. I don't have one, but from what I've seen, a 20A circuit is preferred, but some may be allowed on 15A circuits. Your (UK) 10A 230V (harmonized?) don't really fit the usual technology. Our higher power EVSE seem to want at least a 240V 30A circuit, so your 32A ones would work well ...

Besoeker3

Occupation
Thank you for the explanations. EVSE is not a term I have seen used here. Standard UK domestic outlets are usually 13A on a ring main rather than 10A. Electric cookers are usually on a dedicated hard wired 30A cooker unit.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Thank you for the explanations. EVSE is not a term I have seen used here. Standard UK domestic outlets are usually 13A on a ring main rather than 10A. Electric cookers are usually on a dedicated hard wired 30A cooker unit.

retirede

I am sorry let me clarify. We are installing Level 2 evse in a condominium parking garage. So There is a resident with a plug in hybrid that is using an existing 120V 15 A receptacle without gfci protection. The HOA asked us to bring the Phev into code compliance. So my question is if the receptacle is existing do we still need a dedicated circuit and does this need to be gfci protected?

If the location of the receptacle does not invoke the GFCI requirement and the equipment itself does not specifically call for a GFCI-protected circuit, then it’s fine.
As far as I know, there is no general requirement for EVSE equipment to be used only on a GFCI-protected circuit.

mjc1060

This location is in a garage so may 210.12(B)(8) garages apply. Also 625.40 EV Branch Circuit. These are out of 2017 so with equipment such as EVSE does the NEC allow Level1 EVSE equipment to use existing receptacles if they don’t meet these requirements? So my question is the question is the equipment is new but the 120V 15A receptacle is not.

retirede

This location is in a garage so may 210.12(B)(8) garages apply. Also 625.40 EV Branch Circuit. These are out of 2017 so with equipment such as EVSE does the NEC allow Level1 EVSE equipment to use existing receptacles if they don’t meet these requirements? So my question is the question is the equipment is new but the 120V 15A receptacle is not.

If the receptacle was compliant when installed, there is no requirement to bring it up to current code.

mjc1060

The individual who installed this device has moved. There was never an electrical permit or inspection for the work. The receptacle is in an underground garage where there is water leaking in from above. My understanding is this was installed for a camera and now it is being used to charge a PHEV and a car battery trickle charger. So I know it is not code compliant as far as not being gfci. I will have to wait and see how the AHJ responds.
I sincerely hope no one gets hurt.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You are an EC I assume, correct? You should be able to tell if that receptacle has been installed properly or not. Why are you wasting the time of the AHJ?? Because the HOA won't respect your recommendation? Further, it's just a 15A receptacle, so drop the pretentious acronyms. We're not a HOA that you need to impress.

From what I understand the receptacle is existing and some resident decided to use it to charge his car. The only responsibility of the HOA is to make sure the receptacle is properly installed and I would recommend GFCI protected. It's immaterial that someone hijacked it to charge their car.

Personally, if I were on the condo board and saw that we would have to spend money to repair or upgrade a receptacle that isn't even being used anymore I would recommend that it just be removed. Let the guy with the Phev :lol: run an extension cord out his window instead of stealing our power.

-Hal

MAC702

... I would recommend that it just be removed. Let the guy ... run an extension cord out his window instead of stealing our power.

This is my thought, too, especially if this is related to a recent thread about the HOA trying to figure out a long term solution for everyone. Eliminate this one while you figure it out. The safety of it seems irrelevant.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
This is my thought, too, especially if this is related to a recent thread about the HOA trying to figure out a long term solution for everyone. Eliminate this one while you figure it out. The safety of it seems irrelevant.

Yes, same poster, same condo where he lives.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle in recent codes would likely been required to have GFCI protection. This may or may not be considered a dwelling garage, if is a dwelling garage has been GFCI requirement for quite some time, if not a dwelling garage maybe not required until more recently.

2017 and 2020 NEC expanded GFCI requirements and even a 240 volt receptacle could require GFCI protection in some situations.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle in recent codes would likely been required to have GFCI protection. This may or may not be considered a dwelling garage, if is a dwelling garage has been GFCI requirement for quite some time, if not a dwelling garage maybe not required until more recently.

2017 and 2020 NEC expanded GFCI requirements and even a 240 volt receptacle could require GFCI protection in some situations.

The 2020 added a new requirement 625.54 that all receptacles for EV charging shall be GFCI protected "in addition to the requirements in 210.8".
(Oddly its noted in my codebook as a triangle 'text deletion and figure revision' , but I dont see it in my 2017.)
There is no mention of voltage or amperage class or location just 'all'.
I think by 2017 NEC and below its not required for EVSE specifically.

If I was on the HOA I would want as many EV charging receptacles as possible.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Sure, easy for you to say. Receptacles of what "flavor"? 20A, 40A, 100A?? This is a rapidly evolving technology. What they spend money on today will be obsolete in a couple of years.

The only way that this is going to happen is when there are companies that just specialize in providing EV chargers for multi-unit buildings. It would work like the old pay phone companies or the ones that provide ATMs. They own them, arrange for the utilities, install them, maintain them and upgrade them as technology changes. EV car owners pay per month and a percentage could be kicked back to the building owner.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
The 2020 added a new requirement 625.54 that all receptacles for EV charging shall be GFCI protected "in addition to the requirements in 210.8".
(Oddly its noted in my codebook as a triangle 'text deletion and figure revision' , but I dont see it in my 2017.)
There is no mention of voltage or amperage class or location just 'all'.
I think by 2017 NEC and below its not required for EVSE specifically.

If the receptacle were 50 amp or less 210.8 would require GFCI anyway in 2020 for nearly all places you might be likely plug in EV charging equipment. If you parked your car in your living room maybe not though.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.