Lessons learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

Re: Lessons learned

I got one for ya'll... I'm wiring a control panel on the back of a paper machine. You guys know what I mean -- where there is a 3 inch hole in the top of it and all the tray cables are ty-wraped to the side of the cabinet... I'm in the process of stripping all the jackets off, and as I get a couple done I was ty-wrapping them to the hooks along the side. Kneeling, I leaned into the cabinet to look at whatever, and accidentilly shoved a cut off ty-wrap end into my left eye. I went down on my back NOW. My point is simple where your safety glasses or get out of the trade. I have a permanent scar on my cornea, but am no worse for wear today. Lesson Learned!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Sundowner:thats a good reminder. I worked with a carpenter once who lost an eye. He was really protective with the remaining one. I have a pair of prescription safety glasses, not required where I work but better than the cheap junk they have. However there are some nice safety glasses now that go over prescription glasses.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Safety glasses are something we tend to forget about but its a good idea to wear them whenever there is any chance of something getting you.

I was in an explosives plant once and a technician and i were trying to figure out why a gripper was not working. He took the thing apart and could not quite see what its problem was. I saw him reachup to take off his safety glasses to get a better look, and then for some reason he changed his mind and moved his hand away from his glasses just as the whole gripper assembly came apart in his hands and a spring inside the assembly propelled a small piece of metal right at his face. Fortunately it hit his lenses instead of his eyeball.

pushpins

Ever heard of a grounded delta???????
Just because the volt meter says 0 volts to ground doesn't mean its not hot. After they picked me up off the ground.....I checked phase to phase,

hurk27

Here's one for ya:
I was installing a 2"x 4" brace for a fan once and wasn't paying attention to how long my screws were. as I got the screw all the way in, I heard someone yell. I went up stairs to see what it was about and there was the plumber standing there and couldn't move his shoe. I got lucky as the screw just missed his toes. but these were full lace boots and he was stuck. I had to go back down and remove the screw. :eek:
But I have seen a coulple of guys get hit by a nail gun when a carpenter was nailing on the out side of the house and missed the stud.
Then there's the ram set powder actuated nailer. I had to get certifide to operate. But if you don't hold it squared with the wall they are very dangerous as the nail can go anywhere.

nec4me

When we were remodeling a house we had plumbers, and electricians on the job at once. After coming off a large commercial job where there was maybe 1 porta-jon to every 10 guys it was nice to work in this house where the upstairs bathroom was already remodeled and we had full access to use it. Well after being on the job for a week I had a nice routine, nice hearty lunch then off to the upstairs bathroom. When I was finished doing what I had to do in the bathroom I hit the flusher on the toilet and to my surprise about 5 seconds later someone started screaming and yelling from the back yard. I thought to myself "how odd, as I flush the toilet someone starts yelling like a maniac"? I looked out the window and saw a plumber down in a hole in the back yard with his hands waiving in the air and he was cursing saying "its all over my hands". Well it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what had happened. they had cut the line going to the septic tank and I had just sent them an early Christmas present. :D Almost lost my job over that one, so next time your on a job with plumbers, before you flush, make sure their not working on the waste line. :eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

This has been a very educational thread. Many thanks to silverromex for getting this one started.

Now, may I ask for a moment of silence, to honor those of our profession who learned their lessons a moment too late, and as a result, are not here to explain their lessons to us? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.