LED Wafer lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have only used these on remodels. I drill my holes fish the wire and wire the driver box plug the light in and "throw the box away" What do you do on new work? I have an inspector giving me a hard time about not mounting the driver box. The cord from the light to driver box is short if you mount the box how do you access the splice at a later date?

We have used these on new construction many times. We measure out where we want them, pull wire from point to point, leaving a coil and loosely stapling the very end of the cable near each location. We take pics of the general ceiling joist layout and a tape measure in relation to the rough in anywhere that has excessive obstacles or crucial placement. After drywall we carefully measure and cut in, find the coil and pull it down, install. Our inspectors have never had an issue with it and its safer than mounting the power supply where it may not reach perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be sure the insulators and drywallers understand what is going on and know not to mash the cables out of the way or somewhere unreachable. That has happened before

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I do have a second question though. The Lithonia'sI used how do you handle the dimming aspect with the two extra wire's. Run another 14/2 for dimming? Or is there another type of cable approved to be in the driver box with the 120 volt?

I've never used that type. The one's I have always installed are 120v wired like any old recessed lighting group and switched with an LED compatible dimmer. I'll try to look that up because I'm not familiar with what you're talking about

So there are 4 wires (besides the bare ground) in the driver box? I would think they could do that with 3 wires similar to hardwired smoke detectors and 14/3 or 12/3 would be appropriate for wiring. If it needs 2 signal wires then I suppose it needs two pieces of 2 wire cable? Give me the name of the product, I'd like to check that out

Status
Not open for further replies.