LED Ultra slim recessed light ? No can required , wet rated , dimmable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Home Depot sells a ( Commercial Lighting recessed light ultra slim Model # 91276 ) Says no can required . Looks like a quick install . Wondered if anyone has installed them and what they thought ???

nickelec

I love those things. I can't specifically comment on that brand however. I have used Lithonia and a few others. I call them rat traps. I'm trying to get that to catch on, so please call them that ;)
Funny you say that I was putting one in last night and it caught me good , made 3 knuckles bleed and I said that exact same thing to my partner.
Damn these things are like rat traps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I still like using cans I did them in my own house I think it's easier less work to put in cans rather then install the thin ones after the rock is installed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I love those things. I can't specifically comment on that brand however. I have used Lithonia and a few others. I call them rat traps. I'm trying to get that to catch on, so please call them that ;)

Rat traps with junction at end of whip are the only way to correct flying splice remodel hacks.
J-box whip can be moved around to reach short cables is both directions.
halo-recessed-lighting-trims-hlb6099fs1emwr-77_1000.jpg
Halo HLB 6 in. White Round Integrated LED Recessed Light Direct Mount Kit with Selectable CCT (2700K-5000K), (No Can Needed)

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Can they be buried in insulation?

UL listed - IC rated, Air Tight, & dimmable.

Notice the heat-sensitive LED driver & Kelvin switch at Junction box, which must be accessible. This Halo model moved the driver - weakest link - out of heated, or buried luminary, or cans.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i like to use the rough in plate for NW. There are so many good things about this product... but you need to protect the j-box and whip from the closed cell foam insulators and I may be paranoid but I worry about replacement lights because the product keeps evolving so quickly.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Cans are so last tuesday....~RJ~

2” LED’s slowly taking over. They make them in 1000 lumen output now.

As for the OP; I’ve used that one and the 4” version and liked them. In both instances I used them in soffits where space was limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Rat traps I like that.
I have been insisting that our guys secure that junction box.
However they point out the installation instructions say its optional.

I just installed 12 4" ones. Its cool, they now have adjustable color temp which is a nice feature. About half of them had a joist in the cutout, but again no problem with the thin ones. One thing you have to be careful about with the 4" ones though is if the joist is in just the right/wrong place, pretty much dead center, then the ballast wont fit up through the hole. That happened on one of these, but I had attic access so no problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there any issue with pre-wiring for them in new or gutted-remodel work? Just a matter of careful mapping of the wire locations?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Is there any issue with pre-wiring for them in new or gutted-remodel work? Just a matter of careful mapping of the wire locations?

not with the rough in plates >>>

AL-RL-UT-RP_wm_1024x1024.jpg

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.